Remington 1903A3 Drill Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I met with WWIIDigger on Friday and was able to pick up a late 1942 Remington 03A3 that had been converted to a drill rifle. Between John and I, we were able to scrounge up enough parts to put together a decent looking dummy rifle for display. John supplied the stock and rear sight and I already had the handguard and rear triggerguard screw. The stock is an Ogden rebuild that has no other cartouches left than the OG rebuild stamp. I initially thought that it might be a Smith Corona stock due to the shape of the band spring inlet (slightly dinged and looks round rather than square), but the interior of the stock is stamped RA so it is definitely a Remington piece. The stock has a couple repaired cracks in the tang area so I didn't feel too guilty about sticking it on a wall hanger. Unfortunately the rifle has been demilled rather than deactivated so it will never be anything more than an oversized paperweight. I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking...

As purchased, with fiberglass drill stock, missing rear sight, and incorrect allen head machine screw in the triggerguard. As usual the cutoff has been welded along with the bolt face.

After pulling the stock...

Try not to cry. Someone really went to town on this rifle. Cutoff and bolt face are welded as previously mentioned, receiver has been cut, barrel welded, and chamber filled with lead. A large amount of drill rifles are only deactivated by welding the cutoff, bolt face, and barrel to the receiver ring and plugging the barrel. Those rifles can be reactivated by removing and reinstalling a new barrel, bolt body, and cutoff.

Rear sight installed and rear triggerguard screw replaced.

All finished. Gave the barreled receiver a quick shower to get rid of all the grime and metal shavings followed by a Ballistol treatment. Stock metal was removed from the fiberglass stock, cleaned and installed on the replacement wood stock. I still need to give the stock a fresh coat of pure tung oil.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
John (WWIIDigger), thanks again for your help getting this rifle put back together. For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of meeting John, he is an absolutely great dude that I definitely recommend purchasing from. John's got a ton of surplus rifles, parts, and militaria that he's looking to move....so if you're looking for anything in particular definitely check in with him first.

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Luke,
Very cool (though a shame its de-milled). I took mine that you helped me with to the range yesterday. Man I love shooting that rifle. (My shoulder is a little sore today though) ;)
Thanks again for your help!!!!

Steve

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Luke,
Very cool (though a shame its de-milled). I took mine that you helped me with to the range yesterday. Man I love shooting that rifle. (My shoulder is a little sore today though) ;)
Thanks again for your help!!!!

Steve

Thanks Steve. The rifle and parts were a little cheaper than what one of the drill rifles could be had from one of the CMP stores so I figured that it would at least make decent man cave décor that I don't have to worry about keeping locked away in the safe.

It looks like you're going to have to end up going the wuss pad route like me. :wink2: I rarely shoot any of my 30.06 or 7.62x54R bolt rifles anymore without wearing a Past field recoil pad. No more sore shoulder and the field pad is thin enough that it doesn't mess with your length of pull.

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Steve. The rifle and parts were a little cheaper than what one of the drill rifles could be had from one of the CMP stores so I figured that it would at least make decent man cave décor that I don't have to worry about keeping locked away in the safe.

It looks like you're going to have to end up going the wuss pad route like me. :wink2: I rarely shoot any of my 30.06 or 7.62x54R bolt rifles anymore without wearing a Past field recoil pad. No more sore shoulder and the field pad is thin enough that it doesn't mess with your length of pull.

I may need to consider that. I shot 20 - 30 rounds of 30-30 and 20 - 30 rounds of 30-06 Sunday, so I kind of expected a bit of soreness.

WWIIDigger

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, Luke. Have enjoyed our visits discussing parts, rifles and you name it. So glad I can pass along "my stuff" to the new and upcoming knowledgeable collectors. Its important for that to happen. Never realized the rifle was chopped up so bad. You did a great job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom