Remington 58 a good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
SSP has an older Remington 58 for sale, anyone have an opinion on this shotgun? I'm partial to the old wood and engraved receivers and need to add a shotgun to the safe. The wife went with me Dove hunting last week and is totally hooked on the action. Besides, like I need a reason to buy another gun. I'm partial to my Mossy pump, but she wants a semi and this one is just barely in my budget.

I know this model has its limitations, but I'd really appreciate anyones take on this shotgun. What to look for when I inspect? other details I need to look at to best determine wear and life left? I don't have a serial or year of manufacture

Thanks everyone!

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SSP is good folks, they would not cheat you, but it IS an older used gun, so buyer beware. SSP will treat you right.

I'm certainly NOT an expert, but what little I do know, look at the firing pin and the ejector. If they will allow you to chamber a USED shell, see if it will chamber and extract. Usually if you offer the seller the used shell and ask them to do it for you, they should not have any fear. They'd rightfully freak if you tried to chamber a loaded live round.

Also look at the charging knob and look if there is crack where you slide the knob all the way back. If a crack, walk away. Broken firing pins and ejectors can be fixed but that costs $$$. With some guns these parts can be scarce or non existent or expensive.

If any seller will give you a 24 hour money back guarantee, ask if you can go shoot it and make sure it functions properly, and if not if they will give you your money back.

Most any old gun like that will usually be in need of a tear down and deep cleaning.

Again, I'm not an expert, so this is my 2cents worth. Good luck.

I try to keep at least one or two of each caliber of whatever, rifle pistol shotgun case, empty, spent primer, no bullet or shot, and if plastic shot shell, cut the tip off. That way you can safely chamber it, make sure it chambers ok and then extracts ok. You should see a healthy extraction and the empty land some distance away.

CD68

Marksman
Reaction score
My dad has one...bought it used from an uncle of his back in the 60s and used it for more than 30 years. He says he is even scared to guess how many rounds they put through it combined.

The only thing he ever had to fix was the extractor. They still are available at Numrich, I believe. His bolt has a tendency to not close fully on an empty chamber. The extractor tries to ride to the inside of the notch in the barrel...as long as your are chambering a shell, no problems. That might be something to check out to get an idea of how much use it has seen (as well as GeneW's idea of cycling a hull).

As far as shooting it, I love the gun. It shoulders much like my 1100, but seems to swing a little faster. Recoil is much the same...easy on the shoulder. It holds two in the magazine, so you won't have to mess with plugging it for dove. I really like it for an upland bird gun. Don't know if that helps you any. Good luck!