Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 - accuracy out of the box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked this rifle up yesterday.
Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308.
Mounted Burris 6.5-20x44 Tactical on it.

Trigger out of the box was 4.5lbs, the little "external adjustment" didn't do anything, but quick youtube search showed how to properly adjust it. I've set mine right under 3lbs.

35 rounds down the pipe - 5 to get on paper, 30 for the groups ;)

43.0 Varget 168 SMK

.6315" average
.281" best

i39.tinypic.com_2qx94t2.jpg

i43.tinypic.com_evdoye.jpg

i39.tinypic.com_vo8vuu.jpg

I am going to put some more rounds through the pipe, and then let Mechanical Accuracy blueprint the whole thing to see if it improves.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's an honest sub-MOA rifle out of the box - can't argue with that.
All assembly and machining looks 100% - recoil lug is straight, scope base holes are lined up.
Trigger is adjustable with a bit of know-how - even though I prefer two-stage triggers.
Stock is well fitted and free-floated, with aluminum pillars. Not a fan of the overmold rubber coating - keeps yanking on my beard.
I really dislike the bolt handle.
Didn't come with any scope bases at all - I'm glad I ordered mine ahead of time.
The throat is very very long; 168SMK with .010 jump is 1.890 COL.

I would say it's very comparable to old 20" Savage 10FP.

abi-tactical

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up this same rifle the other day. I have not put a scope on yet, but do have a Thunderbeast 30P-1 that will be going on the end of it! Bang or should I say ….. Click…. ;)

Can't wait to get a scope and fire away….

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I felt that the rifle was pretty accurate out of the box as well. I went with the SPS AAC-SD to take advantage of the threaded barrel. That rifle is long gone, but it was a shooter while I had it. I dropped it into a B&C stock and that closed the groups a little and I liked the feel of the stock a WHOLE lot better than the stock Hogue. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what improvements you make to it. Good luck with your project.

Latest posts

Top Bottom