remington 700 VTR... any word on it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know someone who had one, he love it except for one thing, the muzzle break. He shot a deer with it once in low light, he saw spots for half an hour from the flash of light that came from the muzzle break slots.

O have a Rem. 700 SPS Varmint in .308 and I love shooting the thing. Best rifle I have ever owned. The trigger on it is friggin awesome, after I adjusted it a little.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally would prefer something like the SPS Varmint, or Tactical. Cheaper initially, but same action if you want to upgrade later.

If you don't intend to upgrade, I'd say look at the Savage in the classifieds, but I keep hoping I can find a couple hundred $$$ laying around and grab it. All you need to do with that is put a scope on it and shoot.

This.

If you want a Remington - I'd get the cheapest one you can find and then replace the barrel and have the action trued (I don't even know that I'd get a larger recoil lug on a .223, but it wouldn't hurt since its a fairly cheap upgrade and your smith will have it apart anyways).

You'll come out maybe $100 or so more than buying a brand-new VTR if you don't go nuts buying a stock and the gun will be 10x a factory VTR.

I saw some VTRs at Bass Pro in their used rack the other day - can't remember the price ($550 - $575 maybe). They just don't do anything for me.

Personally, if I wanted a rifle that I could just buy, throw a base/rings/scope on and shoot, I'd get the Savage (possibly an FN if CDNN still has some great deals on them - haven't checked in a while).

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
yeah all I really want is a basic rifle that I can put a good scope on and be done with it.

I don't plan on changing the stock or barrel. like I said, it's just for fun plinking out to 3 to 400 yards

I really like the looks of the remington VTR but I love the accutrigger on the savage..... decisions decisions

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah all I really want is a basic rifle that I can put a good scope on and be done with it.

I don't plan on changing the stock or barrel. like I said, it's just for fun plinking out to 3 to 400 yards

I really like the looks of the remington VTR but I love the accutrigger on the savage..... decisions decisions

If you want accuracy out to 3-400yds (and don't want to replace the barrel on a Remy), then looks don't have anything to do with it man :D ).

I've got two Remington 700s - neither would have been worth the money I paid if I was going to leave them stock and just shoot them (not when I could move from a friend's cheaper Savage to either of mine in factory format and my group size was tiny on the Savage and noticeably worse on either of my own Remingtons).

zzz333

Marksman
Reaction score
I've got one in .308. Well balanced rifle. The trigger is the sorta adjustable type. I can only get it down to about 2 1/2lbs safely. It's right at home at 400 yards. A mill dot down and 600 yards is pretty easy. The brake does help keep the barrel down. In my opinion remington should just sell it without a stock. The "pos" factory stock was very off center. I free floated a hogue pillar bed and replaced the factory stock. The triangle barrel definitely has a cool factor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom