Remington 700 with Detachable Magazine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oklahomabuilder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking into getting a Remington 700 but I haven't seen one with a detachable magazine, just the standard hinged plate. Does Remington have a 700 model with a detachable magazine?

Thanks

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll have to get a long-action caliber to get a factory rifle with a detachable mag. If you want one in .223, .308, .243, etc., you'll have to buy an after market detachable bottom-metal.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll have to get a long-action caliber to get a factory rifle with a detachable mag. If you want one in .223, .308, .243, etc., you'll have to buy an after market detachable bottom-metal.

They either are available now, or used to be available in short action and isn't now. The rifle I bought my wife is 7mm-08 and it's factory. Unless my understanding of short action is wrong... Or hers is a modified long action...

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Remington 700 SSDBM (stainless synthetic detachable box magazine) in 30.06 several years ago. Biggest mistake Remington ever made, besides the 710. Never could get that gun to shoot less than 3.5" groups. Even after spending an additional $350.00 for some quality gunsmith work. Parted it out at the next gun show that came into town.

They may have improved them since then. It was felt that the synthetic stock wasn't sufficiently supported to handle that huge hole for the magazine. Although I doubt that because even with a drop plate, that hole is still there.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They either are available now, or used to be available in short action and isn't now. The rifle I bought my wife is 7mm-08 and it's factory. Unless my understanding of short action is wrong... Or hers is a modified long action...

hmmmm - you know you might be right - I think I remember being told that some of the older short-action 700s came with factory detachable bottom-metal.

I'd love to see a picture of it as I've honestly never seen a factory 700 short-action with factory DBM.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Remington 700 SSDBM (stainless synthetic detachable box magazine) in 30.06 several years ago. Biggest mistake Remington ever made, besides the 710. Never could get that gun to shoot less than 3.5" groups. Even after spending an additional $350.00 for some quality gunsmith work. Parted it out at the next gun show that came into town.

They may have improved them since then. It was felt that the synthetic stock wasn't sufficiently supported to handle that huge hole for the magazine. Although I doubt that because even with a drop plate, that hole is still there.

The 30-06 is a long-action though - they still make those with DBM today (I think - I've never been a long-action guy).

Latest posts

Top Bottom