Remington 870...... 3" OR 3 1/2"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man of many calibers

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a new Remington 870 12 gauge. It will be used for dove hunting and waterfowl hunting. My current shotgun only shoots 2 3/4 shells.
I am trying to decide if it is worth the extra $80 to upgrade to the 870 magnum that will shoot 3 1/2" shells instead of just express that will shoot the 3" shells.

Does the 3 1/2" have that much more killing power over a 3" for ducks and geese?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 3.5" is good for decoy shy geese or pass shooting geese. You can kill ducks and geese coming into decoys good all day with the 3" 12 gauge. If the geese are getting wary I wouldn't trade my 3.5 inch. You get more steel without the sacrifice for speed with the 3.5" You look at your higher velocity 3" loads and they will have lower amount of shot.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of price difference between 3" and 3 1/2" shells?

Drastic....like the recoil difference

This is why I choose the 3", both reasons. Of course, I am not a duck hunter either, but I have supposed to have surgery on my shooting shoulder for almost 3 years now, so I am a little sensitive to recoil right now. I just can't break down and have the surgery again, hated it too much the first time.

If you are not sacrificing speed, and getting more shot out there, maybe go with the 3 1/2". When demand increases the prices will go down, and it seems to be the size that several guns are going to now.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried 3.5" shells for turkeys quite some time ago when I thought it was a reflection of my manhood; I still have that box of 7of10 sitting on my shelf today. So if it takes 3.5" to reach out to passing geese, then I will continue to let them pass. I use 3" 12ga shells for large ducks and geese, and 20ga 2 3/4" for pheasant and dove. Just bring 'em in a little closer and your shoulder will thank you tomorrow.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used 3" for ducks for years, didn't think it was worth it to upgrade to 3 1/2. Sunday I used a box of 3 1/2 just to see what all the fuss was about. I was actually amazed at how much better ducks were falling. Hardly a scientific poll, but it made me a believer.
As far as cost, 3" are $12.99, 3 1/2 are $14.99. I just bought 2 more boxes today.

grassman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go with the 3.5 and don't look back. That little extra kick it gives you in the morning is like of cup of coffee to wake you up. Honestly, when you are pulling up and shooting a goose, you will never notice. Pointing at a stationary target is a different story.