Residential fire sprinkler systems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know we have a couple of guys who do fire suppression and fire sprinkler systems, can you give me a rundown on what it takes and costs for retrofit?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Just curious as to your reasons for wanting a system other than the obvious. Are there insurance incentives, etc?

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious as to your reasons for wanting a system other than the obvious. Are there insurance incentives, etc?

No insurance incentive. I read a story this morning where a guy's kids died in a fire, and he could hear his daughter screaming "Papi, ayudame!" before she died in the fire.

So after I got that sawdust out of my eyes I decided I would at least look into a sprinkler system.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are some insurance incentives/discounts for the systems. They are encouraged (not required) by the fire marshal's office in new residential construction.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No insurance incentive. I read a story this morning where a guy's kids died in a fire, and he could hear his daughter screaming "Papi, ayudame!" before she died in the fire.

So after I got that sawdust out of my eyes I decided I would at least look into a sprinkler system.

I witnessed something very similar from across the street. December 1992 or 1993. From directly across the street, I watched as mom hollered for her little girl. House fully engulfed. Then the fire trucks arrived and I watched as they entered the house and shortly after they handed a lifeless little girl out the window to another fire fighter. It was too late.

Investigation determined the live Christmas tree with lights was that the source of the fire. Mom was in the bathtub while kids watched cartoons. When the fire erupted the oldest kid when to tell mom. The youngest lil girl went to hide under her bed.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys I have been involved in this one since the push began nationally to try and require such systems in new residential construction. Truth is, those above stories are what people use to try and justify requring them. The reality is that there is not one single case nationally of lives saved due to residential sprinklers. Its like the anti gun crowd saying "if it only saves one life..." In actually it will add $6000 to the cost of your home, and if ever activated, greatly enhance the water damage done to your home. In Texas, we have to put these some homes of a certain size, thankfully OK does not require it yet. I have never had a client actually want a system after really researching it.

I would recomend upgrading your fire alarms, heat sensors, etc first.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Guys I have been involved in this one since the push began nationally to try and require such systems in new residential construction. Truth is, those above stories are what people use to try and justify requring them. The reality is that there is not one single case nationally of lives saved due to residential sprinklers. Its like the anti gun crowd saying "if it only saves one life..." In actually it will add $6000 to the cost of your home, and if ever activated, greatly enhance the water damage done to your home. In Texas, we have to put these some homes of a certain size, thankfully OK does not require it yet. I have never had a client actually want a system after really researching it.

I would recomend upgrading your fire alarms, heat sensors, etc first.

Thanks for your info. Are the systems set up in zones, or does the entire house get activated at once? Example........fire in laundry room on west side of house, does the kitchen on the opposite side of house get flooded as well?

Latest posts

Top Bottom