Response to snarky sellers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, an old friend has some nice stuff, and he has some crap stuff. we went to a couple of gun shows and he saw some of his type stuff for sale, he was amazed and kept asking me if i had seen such and such item cause the item was "bringing" some extravagant number, i always calmed him with, "they ain't bringing shite, you see any walking out the door?" until someone pays the "bringing" it price it's just high priced junk

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its funny, you see people asking $600 for a $300 kit slapped on a $30 receiver.

HEY! They probably had a lot of time invested in slapping that Frankengun together on their kitchen counter!

I mean, it ain't gonna be as high quality as Rijas, but....

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SOME ORIGINAL TEXT SNIPPED: "You're thinking they may come back and say, "$250 cash and your weapon", which is a good counter offer. Instead the seller responds informing you that your trade offering is worth much less than you think. So they respond with something snarky like this:

"I can find that pistol for $350 all day so I'll trade you your pistol and $450".

Of course after this all I want to do is respond with something really smart ass but usually refrain, but only if I really want the offering. It takes quite a bit to bite my tongue though.

So, how do you guys handle it?"

To a response like the one you posted I usually respond with something like, "Thank you for the courtesy of a response and offer. I will respectfully pass and wish you well with your trade."

Why? I try to assume good intent by folks and try not to ascribe negative intentions to their responses (although I am sure some of them deserve it)! I have probably exchanged emails with folks that could have been interpreted as snarky from my side so I give them the benefit of the doubt.

I also appreciate at least hearing back from someone when I make an offer rather than just being left to wonder about the offer I made. I have had folks get back to me after my reply and say they apologized with how they replied, with a couple of occasions where we did end up making a trade that worked out for both of us.

Last edited:

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Many folks value their goods with emotion rather than fair market value. Look at cars, guns, boats, homes and such on the open market for sale by owner sites.
Example: Nancy wants to sell her house, she has lived there for 23 years and raised her 4 kids, buried 5 dogs under the oak tree and had the house cleaned by the same little old lady once a week for the entire 23 years. Family Christmas parties, birthdays, weddings, babies and pets, heartbreaks, first dates, first cars, hiding in the storm shelter, winter storms, Halloweens sitting on the porch handing out candy and sipping hot cocoa. All the memories Nancy has, in her mind makes the house worth a great deal emotionally, yet the fair market value remains $125,000. Nancy is requiring $150,000 for the home as that is HER value, no way the house sells and Nancy is utterly baffled as to why no one sees her views on the homes worth.
Same holds true for guns, cars and anything else. If you desire to sell your emotional attachment there is rarely a market or a buyer.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The OP needs to get over “what I got in it” mentality. That has ZERO to do with what any item is worth.
I agree. What you have in it and what it's worth are definitely two different things. That's why I always research what they're being offered for now and what they've sold for in the past, along with any general info good or bad on the various forums.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.....here I am, stuck in the middle with you...."

For some reason, this tune starts playing in my head when I'm in this situation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom