"Round Count?"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBC in OKC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Who knows this information? Who bothers to keep track? Why?

2. What answer are guy looking for to this question?

I guess I get it if you're looking at a competition/precision rifle and interested in barrel life but this just seems like a useless concern to me. What do you guys think? How do you answer this question?

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't do it, but I can understand why some people care. I see it as being similar to me tracking fuel, oil consumption, oil change, and used oil analysis in my engines along with any notes for major components replaced. I thoroughly enjoy firearms and I take care of them with precision, but I dont drill down to the level that I do for an 800hp+ engine. I can typically tell when springs are nearing end of service life and I have never gotten anywhere even close to shooting enough to shoot a barrel out, so I dont track it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to keep track of round count.
I reload my own ammo so it was not really that difficult.
I kept track of all loads used and their accuracy.

I have less than 100 rounds fired through some of my rifles and that includes the AR's
Rapid fire does not happen and that I think would be more of a concern than how many rounds fired.

Keep a barrel cool and it (accuracy) will last much longer.
I have read that but can't confirm it.

I do not buy a gun because it is cool or nostalgic. I buy because I need a tool and I need the utmost accuracy with that tool.

I have bought guns and they were not accurate and I sold them and I did tell the buyer why I was selling.
Just not accurate enough for me.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally keep track because I trade and go through enough guns and I know it is something buyers/traders want to know. its not too hard to just keep a ticker page with each case and mark a line for each 100 I put through or something.

I think people are mainly wanting an estimate for this so they know what they are getting into. It does matter especially with certain rifle cartridges how many rounds you put through a barrel even if you aren't using it for competition. I have a 6.5 creedmoor and those barrels only last 3000 rounds or so. So if someone is selling one and they already have several thousand rounds through it that is good info to know. For something like a 9mm, it probably doesn't matter much at all, but if someone has 10k rounds through it vs. someone that has 20 rounds through theirs you can probably get an idea of what the wear is going to look like on them in general. Pictures only show so much and some people don't want to meet up just to find out there is quite a bit more wear then expected.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone of my weapons can and will be used for defensive purposes or hunting. I track every round and replace parts at specific round counts to ensure they run like they should. I also want to know at what approx. round count barrels start to lose accuracy and groups open up.

Same reason you rotate your tires and change your oil.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never cared when buying or selling. I inspect the gun and look for obvious flaws. Most people don't shoot a gun enough to wear it out. It's a non-issue for me. Even with duty guns. I would regularly clean/inspect my gun. If it was working properly and the parts looked serviceable I was happy and that's served me well for 40 years.

I think some people overthink things. It's not wrong, it's just not always necessary. But if that makes them happy then it's not my place to question that.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to keep track of round count.
I reload my own ammo so it was not really that difficult.
I kept track of all loads used and their accuracy.

I have less than 100 rounds fired through some of my rifles and that includes the AR's
Rapid fire does not happen and that I think would be more of a concern than how many rounds fired.

Keep a barrel cool and it (accuracy) will last much longer.
I have read that but can't confirm it.

I do not buy a gun because it is cool or nostalgic. I buy because I need a tool and I need the utmost accuracy with that tool.

I have bought guns and they were not accurate and I sold them and I did tell the buyer why I was selling.
Just not accurate enough for me.
For my rifles I only put 4 to 5 rounds down range and then let the barrels and barrel throats cool before re-shooting, including the AR15 . Don't know if it makes any difference, but it makes me feel better. Now for the 22 rifles and pistols, it's a different story; those I don't worry about nor the 9mm pistols. I do let the .357s cool a bit as they run a little hotter. Usually, only shoot .38s through the 357s. Don't know if any of that matters, but again it makes me feel better. :)

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how much you shoot.

I can see how it wouldn't matter to most people.

I schedule maintenance on round count for some of my stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom