Ruger no. 1 the good/bad/ugly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Okie what all does that entail? Is that a bedding issue or just an adjustment on the way the action sits?

No bedding needed. I've got a trick where I've turned a penny into a washer that goes between the barrel and stock, screw goes through the washer, this floats the barrel, and returns it to the same position every time should the forearm need to be removed.

TonyRumore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .450 is a straight slow burner, I would think it would have less recoil than most 30-06's.

You've got to be joking?????

I have a Ruger #1 in .450 Nitro Express. It weighs 7.5 pounds and is absolutely BRUTAL to shoot with full power loads.
It fires a 500gr bullet at 2411fps (across my chronograph). No one has ever been able to fire it more than 4 rounds and most will give up at 1 or 2.

Tony

450 Nitro versus 30'06

[Broken External Image]

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have a Ruger #1 in .450 Nitro Express. It weighs 7.5 pounds and is absolutely BRUTAL to shoot with full power loads.
It fires a 500gr bullet at 2411fps (across my chronograph). No one has ever been able to fire it more than 4 rounds and most will give up at 1 or 2.

Tony

450 Nitro versus 30'06

[Broken External Image]

That's a lot of lead and powder. The picture of the round makes my shoulder ache and my butt pucker.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score

Tony

450 Nitro versus 30'06

[Broken External Image]

Wow, your getting really good velocities of your .450ne, that's right there with the Lott. The only experiences I've had with one, it was running just a little over 2100, and the recoil felt like half of my .458 Lott. A guy at the old range near by was sighting one in and we were comparing notes about the two.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I will say that it was in a fantastic looking double rifle...........to the OP I'm thinking you need to ignore my recoil comparison! LOL!

TonyRumore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think about 2,100fps is the limit for the 450 NE when safely run through an old double rifle. However, the Ruger #1 can handle quit a bit more pressure than the old doubles. I'm loading 115gr of H4831SC behind the Hornady 500gr RN. I can't get any more powder in the case without bulging it.
I don't know how much more the gun or the shooter could handle anyway. The gun really should have been made substantially heavier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom