ruger vs savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.45Fats

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
looking at picking up either a Savage Mark II Tr or a 77/22 in a heavy barrel. just want to get a fun alternative to the 308 and 300 wm that doesn't make my feel quite so tender at the wallet...

so anyone with hands on experience for either of these rifles? I know both are a little overkill but I figure why not right? looking for opinions anecdotes or ideas...(or leads on cheap rifles/alternatives)

Thanks!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a new Marlin Model 60; I chose it over the Savage or the Ruger simply because of how it first felt when I put it to my shoulder...seemed like the front siight just sort of naturally fell right in place; where it needed to be. But, the dang things are all so reasonably priced that I think the Mark II is in my immediate future too. I got a bad case lately of Rimfire Fever anyway...it's highly contagious and is often brought on due to the much higher cost of centerfire ammo!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amen that's what got me started...then some nice guy sold me a rimfire pistol and now it's all over ;)

That's good to hear; there's a lot of good folks on here...I've not had a bad transaction yet. I'm itchin' to put a scope on that new Marlin now too.

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
looking at picking up either a Savage Mark II Tr or a 77/22 in a heavy barrel. just want to get a fun alternative to the 308 and 300 wm that doesn't make my feel quite so tender at the wallet...

so anyone with hands on experience for either of these rifles? I know both are a little overkill but I figure why not right? looking for opinions anecdotes or ideas...(or leads on cheap rifles/alternatives)

Thanks!

my brother in law has the Savage MKII TR and its a reliable blast to shoot! On that note I just picked up my Savage MKII FV-SR which is a cheaper smaller alternative to the MKII TR. I like how light it is in comparison and I am sure it will shoot just as well and the longer barreled TR. Mine is threaded to boot which is why I got it for my can.

ai876.photobucket.com_albums_ab325_88gmchog_Guns_CIMG0514.jpg

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
No personal ownership but...

I prefer the *idea* of the 77/22 as it's a full size rifle, not a mini-receiver .22 action. However, there are more aftermarket options for the Savage MkII .22 (and .17 & mag rifles) than there is for the 77/22. Especially budget tactical type stuff.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC correctly the current crop of 77/22's no longer use slip fit barrels. Also the contour of the bottom of the 77/22 mag is different than the 10/22 mag. The 10/22mag will stick out slightly further on a 77/22.

My current rimfire bolt guns are all CZ 452/453 rifles.

My latest:
[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom