Run-n-Gun gear question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frayluisfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi, all.

I ran my first Pawnee Run-n-Gun in July and had a great time. When I got done, though, I had a very unpleasant surprise--the leather military sling I used to carry my FNAR .308 was about 2/3 worn through. Right where it wrapped around the upper sling swivel, it had developed a wear mark that almost resulted in complete breakage. I thought a leather military sling would be about as strong as anything out there, but this one barely lasted one 10K! :cry11: What slings do you guys use who have done an event like this? What has held up well for you guys?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20141015_164614483[1].jpg
    IMG_20141015_164614483[1].jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 206

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran a Vickers Combat Application Sling during all 3 events I've run so far (my son had one on his rifle for the last one too). It worked great

This time around I'll be using a USGI web sling.

Last edited:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good nylon weave seems to hold up well. I have ran with one I made from two M-16 silent slings at eight run 'n guns, and it is not really any worse for the wear. I have used a Blue Force Gear sling at a couple, and it has been good too. A good quality, good condition leather sling should be fine... you say yours is actual GI? If so, it is probably pretty old, and may have been getting rotten/cracked. A good, high-quality reproduction like a Turner should be just fine for Run 'n Gun. I used a DPMS 1907 sling on an M1 at Thunderbird, and it was fine. I'd say save your worn GI sling for the range, and get a good new one for RnG if that's the type of sling you want to use. At this next one I'll be running my M1 with another one of my custom Run 'n Gun slings made from M-16 slings with a shoulder pad. See you in January!

frayluisfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hensch--I think you're on to something. The sling used be on one of my dad's rifles...which means it's probably older than I am. (kicking self). I'll check out the ones you recommended. Thanks!

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^ Yep, several RnG and Appleseed guys I know like those. It is pretty much the same concept as the ones I make myself... a cloth version of a 1907 sling with no keepers. It lets you set the overall length where it is comfortable to carry, but is really fast to sling up using the sling as a marksmanship aid (come to an Appleseed if you want to learn this technique really really well) and get back out.

Any adjustable 2-point sling can be used as a "hasty sling" for shooting, including the VCAS/Blue Force type slings if you put the forward swivel in the right place. The ever popular GI web sling can be used as either a hasty or a loop sling, and is pretty inexpensive. This is what Run 'n Gun is all about -- testing out different gear to see what works best for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom