Rust on gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friend of mine had a Beretta 92 stolen and just got it back from the police after 2 years. The gun has some rust on it and he'd like to know the best way to clean that up. Thanks for the advice.
B

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have used wd40 and steel wool. it removed the rust but what was left was the bare metal. it looked better than the rust but the blue was gone. i figured the rust had already eaten up the bluing.

Oh, i need to amend this, i have removed the rust this way and there was still some blue left under the rust. the steel wool left some scratches on the blue that you could see it under the right light conditions.

rw1341

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had luck using STAINLESS STEEL wool. It looks like a silver brillow pad and actually is very soft to the touch. Use it dry (no oil). Wipe with oil after you have used it. An old timer taught me this. He says that if you use oil, the oil keeps the particals of rust in contact with the bluing and scratches it. Worked for me anyway. Good luck!

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fine steel wool & Breakfree.........DISCLAIMER........... If mine is the last post...I DO NOT ENDORSE SOONER PAWN. I have never done business with them.

Zack.S

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some 0000 steel wool and some wd40 will work but will take some bluing off with it.
After that a cold blue kit with some heat before wiping the blue on will work fine on all the spots
That lost some blue. Not to hard jut will take a couple times to look nice and dark
With a little patience it'll be nice again

Latest posts

Top Bottom