Rusty Shotgun Barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Found a rusty shotgun barrel in a shed. Appears to be Remington, so I am going to say it is to an 870. Looks like there is some rust inside the barrel as well as outside. What is the best way to get rid of the rust? Should I soak it in something? I was thinking about re-blueing it once I get it all cleaned up too. Or should I do something else? Cerakote?

Thanks guys.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the rust inside the barrel, you might attach your 12g brush and rod to a power drill and do work to see if you can salvage the bore first. If the bore is junk, toss it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rust/pitting around the chamber, and not at the end of the barrell won't make much difference in pattern.
Typically one will only find that in older guns when primers were corrosive.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
do you have a gun for the barrel? the steel wool and oil will work, shooting out the inside would be my idea also. Not sure I would spend much time past that on something if I didn't own the gun, but I have had stockpiles of ammo that I had no gun for, so went and got one. lol. Have fun, can't every have enough shottys.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 00000 steel wool and oil of any kind is one of the best methods.

Being outside in a shed will sure cause rust, especially if the shotgun wasn't cleaned first, as powder residue absorbs moisture and promotes rusting.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tranny fluid has always worked for me, find a pair of rusted pliers and drop them in a bucket of used stuff, maybe thin it with a little diesel. See what the outside looks like, if there is major pitting probably figure the same amount or worse on the inside. Setup a rig so you can fire a couple shells of target shot down the barrel safely but without holding on to the gun. Inspect and then run some steel bird bird shot, if it can handle that it should be safe to use. Clean the inside and see how it looks.

If you have the whole gun find some numbers on it before doing restoration of the bluing, generally an older weapon is worth more if it is not reblued. Using a penetrating oil, tranny fluid or other non mechanical means of an initial cleaning so that you can find some info would be best to begin with. If you find it's an 80's model shotty then you can probably go hog wild and do whatever you want.

But that's my nickel since two cents won't get you anything now a days, lol.

lone wolf

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Super quick clean gun is a cleaner lubricant that will dissolve the rust in a matter of seconds. It wont fill in a pit or reblue but will get rid of the rust and when it it drys its a dry lubricant and rust isnt able to start again. As it penetrates Nd treats the metal. Lone wolf sales is the only dealer in ok will be at grand american gun show in okc dennis deiner show or okc claude hall gun show . Hope this info helps

Latest posts

Top Bottom