S&B .45 ACP cases - priming problems with Dillon 550B

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dux-R-Us

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is only happening with S&B cases (.45 ACP), when seating CCI Large Primers. My loader is a Dillon 550B. Any one have similar experience or can tell me what is what?

awww.boomershooter.com_forums_uploads_imgs_pre_1311815243__45_002.jpg

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not sure if this is your problem or not as I dont have any S&B cases to look at BUT some brands (Blazer brass is notorious for this)use small pistol primers for their .45ACP brass. Like I said i dont have any S&B to look at right now but this might be your problem. Especially since it only happens with that particular brass.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doh! That might be it. I recently saw some Federal that has small pistol primers. Although I read more than a few complaints about S&B brass and tight fitting primers.

I have some S&B brass in 9MM and 7.62 Tokarev I for reloading. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neither of those look like small pistol primed cases. Probably just crimped.

I haven't run into issues with S&B in 45. I do throw out many Federal/Blazer/PPU headstamps though. The Federal/Blazer use SPP and the PPU is crimped.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Either crimped or just too dang tight. I've not had them do that but I've had enough trouble that I just chunk S&B brass in the trash. If you have alot ream or swage them.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S&B brass is one of those you have to examine before you throw it in the loading stuff.. I have found brass plated steel cases from S&B in 9mm, and have found tight primer pockets in 9mm, 40sw and 45acp. I usually run a magnet over the brass to separate out the plated steel cases. I throw them away even though they are reloadable. If I have a quantity of S&B cases, I run them through the primer pocket swage to eliminate the problems of tight primer pockets.. and yes, I am having difficulty with them oh the Dillon 550 family.. Blitzfike

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might try another brand of primer, years ago I almost scrapped a progressive press because of CCI primers because they were so hard to seat, kept having press lock ups due to high primers, I haven't had that problem with any other brand. They may be better now but I will never use them in a Progressive. You might also check the alignment of the case to the primer punch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom