S&W M&P.22 Magnum extensive testing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my last post I conveyed my first impressions and range report of Smith's new .22 Magnum pistol. This time I took it a lot further, and here's why. I got this for my wife. She has frozen shoulders and it is very difficult for her to hold anything with much weight at arms length. So when it comes to a defensive pistol around the house, it has to be very light. She used to carry a micro .380 when she was out, but that has recently been downsized to a .32 because the .380's recoil really started hurting, and accuracy became non-existent. For around the house, I wanted something with a little more firepower than a pocket. 32, yet light and easy to handle. I had considered the Kel-Tec, but my experiences with them left me with more concern than comfort. So when I got the new Smith, it was with this purpose in mind that decided to torture it.
Today at the range I put several hundred more rounds through the M&P. I dug up some really old and some really nasty stuff, along with more of the CCI and Winchester ammo used last time. While I was at it there was some informal accuracy testing, though it was not a primary concern. I tried 7 different brands of ammo, (first pic) some of it was new and clean but a lot of it was older and tarnished. One brand was even spotted with corrosion and extremely dirty. That's a good one to start with! If you haven't noticed, I'm not going to do anything to help this little M&P out. If it's going to fail, I want to know now. Running with the crud still in it from the last outing and no new lubrication, I loaded two magazines with the nasty stuff and let 'er rip. After emptying both mags, I moved through each of the remaining brands with two magazines each, and then a couple more mags of my favorite performers. After over 400 rounds through the little M&P with NO malfunctions and Zero issues, I feel comfortable putting it into it's intended role.

As for the accuracy testing, most averaged about 3 inch groups at 10 yards (second pic.) The worst was the PMC, which couldn't group less than 5 inches. The best was the old Federal 50 gr. load which grouped 2" easily and was the softest shooting ( 3rd pic.) The CCI was still by far the loudest and flashiest, the others were mostly noisy with little flash and the 50 gr. Federal had zero flash and slightly less noise.

Attachments

• 20231023_190632.jpg
    20231023_190632.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 20231023_174342.jpg
    20231023_174342.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231023_174312.jpg
    20231023_174312.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've probably only fired about half that much through mine and like yours, no failures. Mine shoots really well. It's pretty easy to keep everything in about 2.5 to 3 inches at 25 yards...even better from a rest. At 10 yards it shoots a ragged hole. I think I shot mostly CCI through mine with a box of Hornady.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to hear that range report. It appears M&P has solved the issues other manufacturers have experienced with .22 mag in a pistol platform.
AMT struggled with it, my Keltec PMR-30 is now about 99% reliable with the occasional stovepipe that I contribute to the magazine feed lip design, but it's still not reliable enough for a self-defense firearm. Heck of a nice trigger on the Keltec though.
How's the trigger on the M&P? Do they advertise the pull weight?

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The trigger on the M&P was a pleasant surprise. Short and crisp, probably in the top 3 of polymer framed pistols I've tried, and I've tried most (including the Keltec.) And that's out of the box. The M&P retails for more than the Keltec, but given the way it feels and performs, I believe it to be well worth it

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't remember, does the Keltec use a floating chamber design?

I had a Keltec PMR-30, lost it in a boating accident. Before that unfortunate event three failures in 2000 Rds. all three could be attributed to Poor Magazine loading by user, and one round of the three was badly dented again due to loading the magazine. I liked that pistol a lot. The S&W though is one I'd love to try and would be willing to buy it. It appears to have better ergonomics and a thumb magazine release, and more metal parts.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about cleaning? I've not shot enough 22wmr to know, but one of my gripes about 22lr pistols was how much unburned powder and waxy residue gets inside the action after shooting only 100 rounds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom