S&W M&P R8 or Taurus 608SS4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnslnger44tx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking at these pistols for a while and while S&W has the name (along with the price) and is an exceptional pistol. I really like the Taurus and the price is rite. I was wandering if anyone might have any thing to say about either of these pistols likes, dislikes or any info that's relevant.

Thanks gnslnger44tx

zerotonothing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From my personal experience; I would never a semi-automatic pistol from Taurus. I owned a PT145 a few years ago (it averaged 1 failure per 50 or so rounds)...complete piece of shiz. A good friend and a brother-in-law of mine both own PT111's....both had broken firing springs within 700 rounds.

Although my handgun of choice is Glock; of course, I would highly recommend the M&P series. I've owned a couple (but traded them for Glocks).....great guns.

gnslnger44tx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Guys
The R8 is an 8 round .357 as is the 608. I don't know about Taurus automatics, but I have heard that their revolvers are very reliable. I was wondering if anyone knew if these pistols have been compared. I know the R8 is great. It was designed for SWAT, it's just hard to shell out that kind of money. I would like to know if anyone had any info on the Taurus 608ss.

gnslnger44tx

shanedd1422

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I have a Taurus 65 and I love it. I have not experienced any issues with but have only put maybe 100 rounds through it. I don't have any experience with the other. I personally have been sold on Taurus. They have been making some real quality guns lately. I have shot it along side a Ruger GP100 and it feels and shoots just like it. The 65 handles the .357 round beautifully... little recoil overall.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking at these pistols for a while and while S&W has the name (along with the price) and is an exceptional pistol. I really like the Taurus and the price is rite. I was wandering if anyone might have any thing to say about either of these pistols likes, dislikes or any info that's relevant.

Thanks gnslnger44tx

I had a 608SS4 and I sold it. I rarely sell guns that I buy. It machining was simply sub par compared to S&W, ruger, and colt. It had sharp edges on the crane and tool marks galore on the internals. Functionally it worked fine though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom