S&W M&P9c vs. other easily concealed handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the M&P and I like the gun overall, but I don't love it. I have the one with the safety; problem is the safety engagement isn't as positive as I would like. It gets bumped off if I toss it on the bed, and if a little 2' toss can knock it off, what would happened if I was dropped in a struggle?

That's my only real complaint. So what should I do?

1) Ditch the 9mm and get a 1911?
2) Ditch the safety version and get a M&P without the safety?
2) Get a glock 36 and learn to point a glock?

What would you do?

Also, does anyone have experience with this guy? www.rijasservices.com

Thanks y'all.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the M&P and I like the gun overall, but I don't love it. I have the one with the safety; problem is the safety engagement isn't as positive as I would like. It gets bumped off if I toss it on the bed, and if a little 2' toss can knock it off, what would happened if I was dropped in a struggle?

That's my only real complaint. So what should I do?

1) Ditch the 9mm and get a 1911?
2) Ditch the safety version and get a M&P without the safety?
2) Get a glock 36 and learn to point a glock?

What would you do?

Also, does anyone have experience with this guy? www.rijasservices.com

Thanks y'all.

Take it in to a smith and have the safety removed and your good to go. I carry a M&P45 with no safety and also have a M&P 40c that has no safety and have never had a problem. I feel very comfortable carrying them and never worry about dropping them and having them go off.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can keep the safety, it's just for the benefit of your own flailing booger hooks.
IIRC an M&P without the thumb safety is same in every other way, so you're not gaining much if you're swapping guns.

(And nobody's flinging a rock at my head, bub!) ;)

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So a smith could take the safety off with no problems? I'm not worried about carrying without a safety. I would just like it to work right if it's gonna be there.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So a smith could take the safety off with no problems? I'm not worried about carrying without a safety. I would just like it to work right if it's gonna be there.

Yes all M&P's are built to accept the safety, it is just whether it was added or not. It can just as easily be removed and function will not be affected.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No safety on either of my MP compacts and i wouldnt want one on either of them as well.

Should be relative easy to remove the safety, I have torn both of mine apart several times to do some slight trigger work and also to remove the take down levers in them. They are very easy to get apart.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive looked at a couple DIY tear downs. I think I'll try it. Have any of y'all done anything to increase the grip's "grippy-ness"? Grip tape? Stippeling?

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan to get one of these with safety as soon as I have the cash. If you decide to sell it let me know. I am carrying the Taurus 709 slim which has a thumb safety and I like having it. It also has a trigger safety. I have an M&P 9mm Pro for comp shooting that I love. I eventually would like the 9c for carry and want to keep the thumb safety. Can a smith make the safety a bit more positive?

B