• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

[4Sale] S&W non registered magnum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I will try to get a better picture of the frame number tonight.
The only guess I have is someone engraved their ss# and name on it or very identifiable engraving was added, it was then stolen and the thief tried to remove the identifying marks. It somehow came into possession of the sheriffs office sometime in the last 40 years then I purchased it at auction
Have you contacted S&W about it? Most of the ones I have seen are worth big bucks up by $20,000 but of course, they are not ground on by a Dremel.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Sorry, I am not a revolver guy.
What does registered or non-registered mean?
.357 Magnum caliber had just been introduced and S&W made (before the Model 27 was called the Model 27) the Registered Magnum. They were the premier topline model made by S&W and were special order only. You specified barrel length down to 1/8" increments, sights, sight registration, and finish. They came with a registration card numbered to the gun that the owner could mail in and receive a certificate signed by Douglas Wesson.

It wasn't long before S&W decided they were too costly to manufacture and dropped the Registered Magnum and just made the same gun with a set of features and those were the Unregistered Magnums. There were only about 2000 unregistered made before WWII broke out. After WWII they were the Model 27.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
With the grinding being so deep and rough I can see no way to realize anywhere near any restoration. As Mark Novak says, "It's only new once, that ship has sailed." Any further sanding and or metal removal will just hurt it further. It needs to be what it is and apply techniques just to stop any future rust or damage. Just my opinion and despite the damage inflicted, I love the Model 27 and the sheriff's story and that is about as close to me purchasing this gun as it will get.

Latest posts

Top Bottom