SAAMI makes shorty 12ga official/standardized

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had misgivings in these since their inception, and the link in the OP confirmed what my suspicions were.

"The problem with 1-3/4″ shells is that they may not cycle properly in repeating firearms designed for 2-3/4″ or longer cartridges. That’s why some companies make adapters for different shotguns designed to allow reliable feeding of 1-3/4″ shells."

I didn't know they made adaptors. Evidently those were built because of the issue with the type of wad used?
I also don't know how they are constructed especially the bird shot loads. Do they use felt wads or plastic shot cups? Some shotguns have very sharp forcing cones. My .410 is almost vertical. It was built in the day of felt wads with a 3" chamber. When plastic shot cups came out, I had issues shooting the 2 1/2" shells because the plastic would gather on the forcing cone, so had to quit using the 2.5" shells.
I've always wondered how a sharp forcing cone could have an effect on that shot column since it has some free chamber space to open up if using plastic wad cups.
Since there are adaptors, I guess my concerns are unwarranted, but it did come to mind.
Back in the day I had a sears 12 Ga pump gun with a Cutts Compensator. There was a 1/8" gap between the end of the barrel and the start of the compensator choke tube. With felt wads, it worked fine, with plastic shot cups, the leaves of the cup opened up immediately and were trapped between the outer and inner shell of the compensator while the shot column went on. After a couple dozen shots that compensator was completely full of shot cup leaves and was hell to get off to clean up.

e391c3852d4aa7bc13514195421496c6.jpg

p1ce9m1b3ecqfcov9n513ggaaq6.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom