Salmon lovers - which do you buy? Chinook, Sockeye, Coho, Pink, Atlantic, King, or something different?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We don't eat a lot of salmon, but it is Chinook, sockeye, or pink; when we do.

Wif keeps a couple cans of pink in the pantry, as emergency stash.

Sam's or Aldi is where we normally purchase.

We love fish, but salmon isn't high on the list of which type.
yep my canned salmon is an emergency food mostly. I love fish and Cod is more of a favorite than salmon. Trappers is a good place to get some good fish.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Momma used to make them, I dont know how to make em but I could find a recipe.
salmon can, no liquid. 1/2 cup of panko, one egg, season to taste (I use dill), some lemon and reserved liquid if you need it. She loves them. Like grandmas. You can add some onion if inclined. We never have any laying around.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
salmon can, no liquid. 1/2 cup of panko, one egg, season to taste (I use dill), some lemon and reserved liquid if you need it. She loves them. Like grandmas. You can add some onion if inclined. We never have any laying around.
Awesome, Thanks, I'll give it a good college try lol. Do you fry them in a little oil or butter or?

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Northwest native here. Sockeye is the best salmon, it has the highest fat content the colder and longer the river the better the fish. Back home sockeye will be sold by what river it is from. Sockeye use to run as far south as the Los Angeles river. Stocks are depleted but still sustainable un northern regions. Chinook (King) is good too, it really shines as being cut into steaks due to the size of the fish. Coho (silver) is a solid fish, it really benefits from being troll caught, I used to get it at the farmers market caught to night before. Coho has a lower fat content and really shines for smoking and making jerky. Pink (humpback) Is typically what is found in cans and recently started being offered fresh/frozen (Aldi has a great deal) Pink is fine and great for marinated recipies. If you are eating Atlantic, do yourself a favor and get pink instead. Pinks still have large runs and are a very sustainable choice. Pinks are the smallest of all the above species.

Now on to Atlantic salmon. Atlantic Salmon is pig disgusting. Virtually all Atlantic Salmon in the US is farmed in large pens at sea. Farming sounds sustainable but it is not. Because the fish dont actually make a run they have poor fat and muscle development. These pens are usually rife with disease and fish are treated with antIbiotics. These pens also spread disease to native fish and their feed depletes food for wild fish. Atlantic salmon also hurt the US fishing industry, especially when imported. Additionally fish escape and are an invasive species. These is no limit on Atlantic salmon in the NW. Because of their diet and lack of exercise Atlantic Salmon do not developed a salmon color and the flesh is dyed in processing. Hence the classic PNW bumper stickers "Atlantic Salmon Dyed for You." And "Friends dont let friends eat farmed fish"
Well stated @HillsideDesolate - totally agree with your opinions on Salmon, especially the “farm-raised” Atlantic info, as a fisheries guy - we don’t buy or eat Atlantic salmon, tilapia, or those dad-gum farm raised imported shrimp. You just don’t know how they were “farmed”.

I’ll just keep mooching real salmon off of my eye-Dr buddy that goes to Alaska every 2 yrs and ships his fish home, nothing like the real stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom