Save Lives. Get Suspended.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the DHS has been pushing this whole "Run, Hide, Fight" way to deal with workplace violence/active shooters. Yes, the DHS is telling you as a last resort to fight an active shooter.

The other day in Florida, a 14-year-old student pulled a gun and aimed it at another kid on the bus. Three students did exactly what I hope my boys would do in the same situation. They tackled the would-be shooter and disarmed him. He's facing aggravated assault with a deadly weapon "without intent to kill."

The three boys got suspended. For doing what the Feds are telling everyone to do.
The school’s referral slip said he was given an “emergency suspension” for being involved in an “incident” with a weapon. Lee County School District spokesman Alberto Rodriguez said in a statement that “If there is a potentially dangerous situation, Florida law allows the principal to suspend a student immediately pending a hearing.”
Words fail me.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/02/high-school-student-disarms-gunman-gets-suspended/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So the DHS has been pushing this whole "Run, Hide, Fight" way to deal with workplace violence/active shooters. Yes, the DHS is telling you as a last resort to fight an active shooter.

The other day in Florida, a 14-year-old student pulled a gun and aimed it at another kid on the bus. Three students did exactly what I hope my boys would do in the same situation. They tackled the would-be shooter and disarmed him. He's facing aggravated assault with a deadly weapon "without intent to kill."

The three boys got suspended. For doing what the Feds are telling everyone to do.

Words fail me.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/02/high-school-student-disarms-gunman-gets-suspended/

Its sad to say the least.

Somebody needs to loose their job. I'm sure its a one person decision.
The parents need to sue.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are some other articles out there that give more detail. One article says he wasn't suspended for the act. He was suspended for refusing to cooperate with the investigation....whatever that means.

With the attention being paid to bullying these days, I can absolutely see the need to have all parties involved in a situation take a cooling off period while the authorities and parents investigate what happened. Even cops get some mandatory down time after a OIS.

Maybe the kid was a hero, but maybe he was in the middle of giving a wedgie to the kid before he pulled the gun too. Everyone needs more info.

Last edited:

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One other possibility to consider:

After preventing a homicide, a teenager needs some time away from school in the same vein that a police officer gets a little administrative leave after a shooting.

I don't know that the school considered this, but I think it's still a good outcome. A student shouldn't have to deal with gawkers and inquisitors after an incident like that.

That said, they need to change the term for time off in such a situation from "suspension" to something with no negative stigma.

Years ago police departments used to call this time a "suspension" no matter how justified until enough people pointed out that it sounded crappy.

They should do the same here.

They can still call suspensions for discipline "suspensions" without screwing things up.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom