Sawed off shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True, I argued with my buddy last weekend about an AOW he had built. Yes, it was off a virgin receiver, but he said he did a transfer not a form1. I told him he need to correct the situation because I was unaware than remington ever made an AOW and if BATFE was to drill deeper into it, they could come back and nail him for it.
CAR-AR-M16, also, correct me if I am wrong, but when doing the Form 1 on an AOW build, you still need to go through the engraving schtick too, correct?

If he had it built by a class 2 mfgr. it would be tranfered to the individual on a form 4.
Rem and Mossberg sell virgin rec.s to class 2 mfgrs.
All post 68 class 3 items no matter who builds it must be engraved or stamped with the makers name, city and state and serial number.

Now on some collector pieces finding where they stamped may not be noticable, because BATFE let them hide it inside the rec or on the bottom of the barrel so as to not affect the collector value.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even if. I see no use in form 1'ing an AOW. If you had to pay the same $200 stamp you might as well just go the SBS route and if you wanted to add a stock later then you could do it. Now. If a form 1 AOW was $5 then it would be no contest

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True, I argued with my buddy last weekend about an AOW he had built. Yes, it was off a virgin receiver, but he said he did a transfer not a form1. I told him he need to correct the situation because I was unaware than remington ever made an AOW and if BATFE was to drill deeper into it, they could come back and nail him for it.
CAR-AR-M16, also, correct me if I am wrong, but when doing the Form 1 on an AOW build, you still need to go through the engraving schtick too, correct?

If he had it built by a class 2 mfgr. it would be tranfered to the individual on a form 4.
Rem and Mossberg sell virgin rec.s to class 2 mfgrs.
All post 68 class 3 items no matter who builds it must be engraved or stamped with the makers name, city and state and serial number.

Now on some collector pieces finding where they stamped may not be noticable, because BATFE let them hide it inside the rec or on the bottom of the barrel so as to not affect the collector value.

Mr. Ed has it correct. There are 3 ways to get an AOW:

1. Buy an existing one and have it transfered to you on a Form 4 for $5.

2. Build one on your own virgin receiver or pistol grip from the factory shotgun using a Form 1 and paying a $200 tax and needing your info engraved.

3. Send your own virgin receiver or pistol grip from the factory shotgun to an 07/02 manufacturer who will make it into an AOW, regsiter it with ATF on a tax free Form 2 and then transfer it back to you on a Form 4 for $5.

Even if. I see no use in form 1'ing an AOW. If you had to pay the same $200 stamp you might as well just go the SBS route and if you wanted to add a stock later then you could do it. Now. If a form 1 AOW was $5 then it would be no contest

I agree. The only advantage to an AOW is some states allow them, but not SBS's & you can sell them easier due to the low transfer tax.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to own an 870 AOW. Here is a pic of it.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v389_CAR_AR_M16_870AOW.jpg

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I used to have one of those 870's it was from a company called AOW
Everybody wanted one back when Miami Vice was on tv.