School me on bobcats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Season for them is Dec 1 through Feb. 28.
They taste like wild turkey.
Cut into strips and pan chicken fry them.
One of the best eating critters in the woods.

I had one walk right towards me while I was sitting on a log.
I waived my hat at it and told it to git.
It crouched down and and started slinking towards me got 10 feet from me while I was telling it to go away.

It took one .308 through the chest and gutted that cat in 1 shot.

That one did not seemed scared at all.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a bobkitty expert, but anytime a predator shows no fear of human proximity, there's cause for concern.

In this case, I'd be especially worried about small children.

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:
___
The EVIL old timers that thinned out predictors in this country may not have been so dumb after all. Cougar attacks on humans are increasing dramatically, There are wild cougars in the Tulsa Area, and I'm sure all other parts of this part of the country. These things a apex predictors that will kill, and eat anything or anyone they can, especially small children! I have been threatened and folleowed for a mile or more, until we got to the house, and lighsts, by a large pack of Coyotes while on horse back. I don't know what would have happened if the horse had thrown me, or if I ran from them? Started carrying a pistol..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Out deer hunting one day with my hunting buddy and we kept hearing a strange growl meow what every sound. So we go and investigate, Mistake, 3 little bobcat kittens, Mama showed up an about got our ass ripped apart. Good thing I can run faster than my buddy!.
.25 ACP to their knees makes you the fastest runner. 😉

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It probably just knows it can get a freebie from around your place, probably won’t do ya any harm.

If you know anyone that traps ask them to come over and help you out. They aren’t particularly hard to trap.

If I trap close to someone’s place I make darn sure none of their domestic pets aren’t running loose during the time I’m trapping there, if you have someone trap for you ask them to take your pets into consideration.

You could always harvest it yourself during bobcat season, make you a few bucks too if you sell him to a fur buyer.
Wish the fur was like back in the 90’s.
$300 for average and prime was close to $350.
I’ve heard stories of higher but that is what our buyer paid.
I think it’s around $30 now.
Coons worth nothing.
Love trapping when making enough to pay for fuel. Not so much when it cost me to trap, but do it anyway to help the ground nesters.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I didn't have anything it could eat, I think it would be kinda kewl to have around.

There are a lot of folks that live a long time and never get a glimpse of a bobcat out in the wild in their lifetime.

I wouldn't shoot it unless it was an issue.

I did the same with a badger a few years ago. He wasn't bothering anything, so I just let him be. It was pretty kewl to be able to go down there about any time of day and see a badger. He wasn't afraid of anything. Including a man sitting on a horse. If we got too close, he'd let us know about it. I was always the one that backed down, not that little dude. He looked mean as the devil, and he clearly had a crappy attitude.

Latest posts

Top Bottom