School Me on Rimfire Smith and Wesson Revolvers...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While we certainly bag on (rightfully so) Taurus, given Smith's price points on rimfire wheel guns, I'd be tempted to purchase a Taurus too. 22lr is such a sweetheart gentle caliber, I wouldn't worry about sending lead downrange in one. The Smith's are most definitely the better gun, buy a huge margin of quality, but with it comes that huge price tag.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger also makes the sp101 in .22. The 4" 8 shot I handled felt very nice but I have no shooting experience with it. I would characterize it as being between the Smith J and K in size and seem to be less in price than either. They used to make a snubbie too but i do not see it in the catalog anymore. Cannot comment on Taurus.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have owned several Mod 63's over the years and currently own one. Never lost a dime on one when I have sold it. Save your coin and pick up a pin barreled 63. It will only go up in value and you get to enjoy a true little gem.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, I'm not looking for a collector gun... just a shooter that roughly conforms to 2-3" barrel, 8 or 10 shot, .22 LR or magnum.

I actually had years ago, a Taurus model... 60 or 66? .357 magnum in 3"... it was actually a really nice, solid gun from the 80's. So my experience with Taurus's older revolvers has indeed been positive.

Honestly, my primary reason for stating a Smith and Wesson is the cylinder release. I've used it enough that I am familiar with it and have built up the muscle memory of it, thus it will be easier for me to teach her how to manipulate it properly. I guess in actuality, it can be any reliable brand out there so long as it is similar to the Smith's.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, you've been given good advice on the Snith's. If you want a revolver for life, you need to pony up and get one. If that price level is a complete turn-off, go for a Taurus 992, 4" in blue or ss. It will likely be less than $500 and you'll get a .22 lr cylinder and another for .22 mag.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I swapped for a 617 a few years back. I love that thing and won't be parting with it. Recently swapped for a LCR in 22mag. Haven't had time to shoot it yet but it feels nice in the hand.

I've never been burnt on a taurus revolver, said while knocking on my head (wood), and I wouldn't be afraid to try one out if I stumbled across a decent deal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom