Scope suggestions for a Savage 17HMR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've just bought my first rifle and have been looking for the right scope.

A few questions?
a) "sweet 17" or "17 hot" scopes -- just a gimmick? If I use different weights/different velocities, doesn't that undermine the turret gradations?

b) I would really like a mil-dot scope so that I can accommodate for bullet drop, rather than adjusting elevation -- a newbie error?

c) Mueller is often pointed out as a great brand for the money. Does its optics clearly beat BSA, Barska, Simmons?

d) I suppose, any other advice? BTW, I'd like to stay <$150, preferably closer to $100.

Thanks.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a BSA sweet 17 3-9x40, and a 4-16x40 on two savages... Dead on with correct weight and sight height. The trick to them is the rings. I really hate BSA, but I love these scopes. Decently clear well beyond the affective range of the caliber. The 3-9 ran me $40 at academy. The 4-16 was $70. Definitely not a gimmick

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After being burned by a bad batch of BSAs at SWO, I tend to shy away from them. I like the concept, but the execution was poor at the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom