SCOTUS Rules In Favor Of Marriage Equality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bible has been incorrectly used to argue for many wrong things including justification for slavery. I'm sure you are aware of the story behind "Amazing Grace" however.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bible has been incorrectly used to argue for many wrong things including justification for slavery. I'm sure you are aware of the story behind "Amazing Grace" however.

So it's been around for thousands of years, misinterpreted by billions of people all that time, but you, right here, right now, have discovered the One True Meaning?

Hallelujah!

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know a devout and highly-convicted Muslim caterer? I wanna schedule an event. Pulled pork, bacon-wrapped jalapenos and a few kegs of beer. Seriously.

Here in Oklahoma, the caterer would tell you to kiss his hairy brown ass, and there is nothing the government could do about it. All these stories of bakers being forced to make cakes for homos come from leftist states where there are laws prohibiting private discrimination on the basis of sexual preference. Oklahoma doesn't have any law like that, and they sure don't have any laws prohibiting discrimination against pork and beer lovers.

Also, to correct something Ace said earlier, the Supreme Court has never interpreted the Constitution as prohibiting any kind of private discrimination -- only discrimination by the government. The prohibition on racial discrimination in public accommodations and employment comes from a federal law passed in 1964.

airpowmech

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe but that probably opens the entire concealed and open carry debate to the federal level, that I do not want. States rights are being trampled down more and more by the current .gov (all three branches).
States haven't had any rights since 1865.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, is there a source of morality that has always existed and never changed?
The God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob

You said that society could view anything as moral without an 'immutable, external source for morality.' When asked for a source, you reference the bible. I have no personal issues with your faith, but morals have existed before the bible (and even before JC) and have changed over time, either through translation or interpretation, has it not?

You're right, anything can likely come to be viewed as moral. Slavery was once viewed as moral, segregation was once viewed as moral, bans on interracial marriage were once viewed as moral. All of which were justified using the bible at one point or another and each are now considered immoral by society.
As I pointed out above, the bible has been used in many situations to justify wrong or even evil things. By taking a verse or two out of context, anything can be justified by quoting the bible. You must read it all, not cherry pick what you like.

Mistreating people has always been condemned in the bible. I have not studied this topic much but it is my understanding that the teachings and commandments regarding slavery promoted better treatment of slaves. And that provisions were made for people to be released from slavery following a set period of time. Indentured servitude may be confused with perpetual, absolute slavery...I'm not completely sure and would need to dig deeper on this.

I do not believe that abusive slavery, segregation and prohibitions on interracial marriage have become immoral in recent history but rather have always been condemned by God and spoken against in the bible. Many scholars believe that the wife of Moses was black. Look at the story of Ruth. You need to get visions of Jim Crow and abusive racial practices in the deep South and bible thumpers out of your mind when considering the bible. They are not the same. The temple in Jerusalem was partly open to non-Jews. And Jesus took his disciples on a big detour into the territory of the hated Samaritans to teach them that God's love was for all people.

Society changes, morals change, life goes on.

"The times they are a changing", eh? If all we are is dust blowing in the wind, perhaps. But the bible says we are immortal and our highest purpose is to glorify our loving Father who does not change. I fall short of this lofty goal every day but the sense of God as loving Father and as a foundation who does not move, no matter what, is a tremendous comfort.

...what does morality have to do with equal protection under the law (which is what the SCOTUS ruling related to)?
You are arguing that everyone deserves equal protection under the law. I think we all agree on this. But this is not the same thing as saying marriage can be whatever anyone wishes it to be.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The difference between the gays and the religious people that found out they now have to allow gay marriage in their state is that only one group was used to the butthurt.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your argument is so compelling, your logic irrefutable! I'm sure all the hateful religious in the world have seen the light thanks to your post, and will be abandoning their holy books immediately.

Don't need to argue. What I say is a fact. This thread and history have already proven my point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom