Seasonal Allergies Are Whoopin My Butt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tR knows what he speaks. I've dealt with allergies my entire life. Believe it or not, when I smoked they weren't as bad. I should have book marked it because I'll never find it again, but I found a clinical study that showed that nicotine helps not long ago. That explains why all the years that I smoked my allergies by and large went away. Everybody looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my head when I told them that.

Flonase and Beconase is good but takes weeks to get kicked in and working good.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
tR knows what he speaks. I've dealt with allergies my entire life. Believe it or not, when I smoked they weren't as bad. I should have book marked it because I'll never find it again, but I found a clinical study that showed that nicotine helps not long ago. That explains why all the years that I smoked my allergies by and large went away. Everybody looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my head when I told them that.

Flonase and Beconase is good but takes weeks to get kicked in and working good.

Yes, the nasal steroids need to be used regularly to get full effect. Alot of people will try them for a day and give up, or sporadically, which doesn't work nearly as well. I've found a slightly cumulative effect with the antihistamines like Claritin and Zyrtec from regular use, as well.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ed Zachary... alot of people attribute nosebleeds to their nose/sinuses being "dried out". In actuality, especially during allergy season, a lot of people have swollen, and engorged turbinates inside the nose that makes the tissue friable and prone to breakage and bleeding. The increased bloodflow to the area contributes to the drainage, but people are always complaining about being "stuffy", but no matter how how much they blow their nose, it never clears. This is because of the swollen, engorged tissue inside the nose. Allergy meds help block some of this, thus reducing the drainage and stuffiness. I've also found ibuprofen helps my stuffiness a lot by reducing this inflammation and swelling in addition to allergy meds.

BTW, anyone know the #1 and #2 cause of a chronic cough? Give ya a hint, neither of them have anything to do with the lungs.... :D

1. post-nasal drip

2. GERD

I had a cough develop in in late 2012 that lasted until May of 2013. I sounded like a lunger. Sounded like an old trucker that smoked 2 packs a day for 50 years - or like I had TB. I had a big vacation planned in May and finally went to the doc the week before (I never go unless I'm dying). Got some of whatever those little round mucus breaker upper pills are (I'm sure you know) and a flonase script (wasn't OTC yet).

Went on the trip, still coughing. My buddy filmed most of it...my coughing is in the background the entire time. Very weird to watch. Everyone around me got used to it. After that I slowly got better. Flonase rules. It going OTC made my life because I never go to the doctor. I think it's stupid just to get a re-up on a simple med.

Side note: I got 2 bouts of strep and tested positive for the flu all back-to-back around that time. Became exclusive with my old lady in spring of 2013 and I haven't been sick since. Single life is gross. I remind myself of that when I am hating her. LOL. Between shacking up and Flonase, I feel leagues better that I ever did in my young adult life. Bad side-effect: gained ~25lbs. :/

Yes, the nasal steroids need to be used regularly to get full effect. Alot of people will try them for a day and give up, or sporadically, which doesn't work nearly as well.

I try to tell people this. I pimp Flonase like they pay me, but when I get people to try it, they refuse to use it regularly and see no benefit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom