Shads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know about the lakes in the OKC area, but on Kaw, and some of the area lakes the shad are so thick that they are being called carpet shad. The locator on the boat just blanks out there are so many.
We didn't have a hard winter with the lakes freezing over causing a shad kill.
Going to make for some fat fish this summer.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wildlife department or the dam authority dumped some stuff into the Arkansas river below lock 16 when my buddy was there fishing.
The guy cam up to him and said are you about done fishing,,He said yes i was about to head home with my fish..He was the only one there fishing.

So the guy waited until my friend pulled his stringer and then dumped some chemicals into the water ,,Was done to kill the over polulation of shad they had.

I wonder what it did to the other fish..
This stunt may be why we sometimes see large amounts of dead fish washed up somewhere.

OH the shad near okc.
Thunderbird lake you can toss a net. and the canadian river down stream past NE10th bridge.
I have got them on NE 63 and about NE 36th street also.
Around the bridge pillars.
Cimmaron on I35 around the bridge pillars also.. That is a ways out from okc though. I would go there for a short day trip to get Gar for dinner.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wildlife department or the dam authority dumped some stuff into the Arkansas river below lock 16 when my buddy was there fishing.
The guy cam up to him and said are you about done fishing,,He said yes i was about to head home with my fish..He was the only one there fishing.

So the guy waited until my friend pulled his stringer and then dumped some chemicals into the water ,,Was done to kill the overpolulation of shad they had.

I wonder what it did to the other fish..
This stunt may be why we sometimes see large amounts of dead fish washed up somewhere.

Why would they kill the main diet of sportfish? Doesn't make sense. Mother nature will take care of the overpopulation by regulating the Phyloplankton and zooplankton in their food chain.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lake El Reno is closer to me, is there a particular area that i need to go to or just anywhere. thanks.

If you have a boat with a locator cruise around bridges, pilings, etc and look for lots of tiny dots. If there is water flowing over a dam or spillway, the area below the dam would usually hold them. I don't know that lake. That's just where I'd look for shad in any lake.

Latest posts

Top Bottom