Sharyl Attkisson: 50 Media Mistakes in the Trump Era: The Definitive List

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
RE: Item #31, concering Newsweek’s Chris Riotta claiming that Ivanka Trump “plagiarized” one of her own speeches. I would attribute this more to Chris Riotta's ignorance of the meaning of “plagiarized." I once worked with a reporter that thought "famous" and "infamous" were synonyms and tried to use "infamous" to describe the NJ State Marine Police in a "puff" piece that was used before a live fireworks cablecast our cable system local origination station broadcast. I was editing the piece and caller her on the misuse of the word. I was later called into the news director's office. He told me that I was wrong in correcting her--but then, with a smile on his face, he told me to let him know next time.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RE: Item #31, concering Newsweek’s Chris Riotta claiming that Ivanka Trump “plagiarized” one of her own speeches. I would attribute this more to Chris Riotta's ignorance of the meaning of “plagiarized." I once worked with a reporter that thought "famous" and "infamous" were synonyms and tried to use "infamous" to describe the NJ State Marine Police in a "puff" piece that was used before a live fireworks cablecast our cable system local origination station broadcast. I was editing the piece and caller her on the misuse of the word. I was later called into the news director's office. He told me that I was wrong in correcting her--but then, with a smile on his face, he told me to let him know next time.
My pet peeve along those lines is "enormity" used instead of "enormousness." "Enormity" means "the great or extreme scale, seriousness, or extent of something perceived as bad or morally wrong;" the "bad or morally wrong" is a vital piece of the definition.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My pet peeve along those lines is "enormity" used instead of "enormousness." "Enormity" means "the great or extreme scale, seriousness, or extent of something perceived as bad or morally wrong;" the "bad or morally wrong" is a vital piece of the definition.

There, their, they're... it'll be OK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom