Shock and Tagged fish for Walleye Rodeo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This morning I went out with the game wardens and the man in charge of the walleye rodeo. 500 fish were tagged today 15 walleye, 15 channel cat, 15 flathead catfish, and the rest were sandbass, hibred, and black bass. 4 of the tagged walleye were approximately 8 lbs, 6 of the flatheads were 25+lbs, almost all the channel cat were 15+lbs, and the sandbass were an average of about 2 lbs. All of the walleye were shocked at the dam, flatheads and channelcats were at the dam and canadian side, and all the sandies were up the river and at beavers pond.

I believe the tags this year are worth $25, $30, $40, $50 and normal tournament prizes are the same.

Should be some excelent fishing this year by the way it looked this morning.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When they shock fish do they all just come up or do they use different voltage for different fish? Just wondering.

It depends on the water chemistry of the location being sampled, the size and shape of the anodes, the conversion efficiency of the electrofishing equipment being used, etc. Generally, 120-300 volts are sufficient, with pulsed DC being popular for causing galvanotaxis (uncontrolled swimming). I've been in situations where 120 volts of DC pulsed at 10 Hz caused dozens or hundreds of fish to bloom upward to the surface, and situations where 500 volts pulsed at more than 60 Hz did nothing. Basically, you have to tailor the electrofishing setup to the situation. Incidentally, electrofishing works best in shallow water and with fish species that typically do not hug the bottom.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like fun. How much voltage do the crank telephones create? I have heard they work well. Is the Walleye Rodeo this weekend? I heard they have been catching a bunch over there.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This morning I went out with the game wardens and the man in charge of the walleye rodeo. 500 fish were tagged today 15 walleye, 15 channel cat, 15 flathead catfish, and the rest were sandbass, hibred, and black bass. 4 of the tagged walleye were approximately 8 lbs, 6 of the flatheads were 25+lbs, almost all the channel cat were 15+lbs, and the sandbass were an average of about 2 lbs. All of the walleye were shocked at the dam, flatheads and channelcats were at the dam and canadian side, and all the sandies were up the river and at beavers pond.

I believe the tags this year are worth $25, $30, $40, $50 and normal tournament prizes are the same.

Should be some excelent fishing this year by the way it looked this morning.

It must be missing on my computer I see no info about where it is ...only see the shocking report

He didn't identify the lake, just the locations on the lake. It is Canton Lake. It is located a couple miles north of Canton, Oklahoma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom