shooting deer with broadheads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot a lot of deer with a bow/crossbow over the years and I have found one observation to be true. When you put a sharp broadhead thru the heart/lung region they dont go very far. Put it where its supposed to go and you will have a awesome blood trail and probably see or hear the deer fall. I will be the first to admit I have made some bad shots, (lost a deer just last week) and some of those deer I have recovered after extensive tracking. I just hear a lot of folks (not so much here) claim they made a perfect shot and cant find their deer.If you put it through their boiler room they will die quickly.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is true for any weapon used a bullet through the rib cage .223 and up is a dead deer very quickly. Any broad head through the lungs same thing dead deer. Heck I killed a doe one time with rubber field point that was for stump shooting didn't do it on purpose. Every time she would come by my stand she would make it a point to look up in it to see if I was there and then she would just stay there stomping and snorting so brought on of stump shooting arrows with me and she did this I shoot her thinking nothing of it. After shooting her she ran about 100 yards and laid down. I could see her from where I was at. Before dark she was dead I thought what the heck. It broke a rib a punctured her lung.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is true for any weapon used a bullet through the rib cage .223 and up is a dead deer very quickly. Any broad head through the lungs same thing dead deer. Heck I killed a doe one time with rubber field point that was for stump shooting didn't do it on purpose. Every time she would come by my stand she would make it a point to look up in it to see if I was there and then she would just stay there stomping and snorting so brought on of stump shooting arrows with me and she did this I shoot her thinking nothing of it. After shooting her she ran about 100 yards and laid down. I could see her from where I was at. Before dark she was dead I thought what the heck. It broke a rib a punctured her lung.

Off topic, but I've had cows do that. Slingshot and Marbles solves the problem quickly.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Bulls Eye I would generally agree with you but there's always that exception, such as mine last year. First arrow that was high, and rendered his back legs useless. Then two more through the boiler room as he was crawling away. Gave him him time to expire, when I returned, we discovered he'd gotten back up on all fours. Ended up traveling almost 1.3 miles, mostly in a giant circle, before heading due South. We found him the next March while looking for sheds, about 200y further than where we'd stopped our search. One arrow still laying next to the rib cage.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20141117_223034_zpsiqjhgcsx.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20141116_182152_zpssri8ewce.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20141116_182438_zps2mbugpih.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20141116_201922_zpsae04zznn.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20141117_170248_zpsevjs2lyi.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_IMG_9743_zpsbdbb9qmi.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20150322_122616_zpsmipoh7dk.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yummy! Juice, maggots, and rot smell doesn't bother me........my buddy on the other hand, who was with me was on the verge of hurl city. :)

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie, I believe I remember that thread from last year??? Amazing that deer lived as long as it did. They are tough animals for sure and there is always a exception to any rule. I will retract my opening statement and say that 99.9% of all deer hit through the broiler room with a razor sharp broadhead will die quickly.:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom