Shotgun Ammo, what do you feed yours? Need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vnamvet6869

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Needs to meet these qualifications reliable,doesnt dirty up gun too bad, reloadable many times and 12gauge can be 2-3/4,3in or 3-1/2.

(1.)For birds and clays? Been looking at Winchester AA 2-3/4, 7-1/2 shot

(2.)For big game like deer and elk? "what kind of slug?

Thanks!

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For trap & skeet I use Winchester AA, 2-3/4". Typically #7-1/2 for trap, #8 for skeet. Lots of folks use #8 for trap and #9 for skeet, maybe my scores would improve if I followed the herd. I have had trouble with #9s breaking clays though, retrieved a couple than didn't break and landed on the ground intact and discovered lots of #9 sized holes. I suppose it's possible that the batch of clays was just extra tough (the fact that many remained intact after landing sort of suggests that), but in any event it kind of turned me against using 9s.

I can usually get 5 reloads out of once-fired AA hulls before I start rejecting a large percentage of them. Never had a AA fail to fire, and they do burn somewhat cleaner than the cheap loads.

Can't help you much with the big game question, I've never hunted critters with shotgun slugs. Selection of the slug will depend on whether or not your shotgun's barrel is rifled, the size/species of said critter, what sort of range you're considering as a maximum, and maybe to a lesser extent what kind of sighting system you are using. Rifled barrels are generally better served with saboted slugs, and can be effective to around 100+ yards. Smooth bored barrels are usually better with Brenneke or Foster/Forster style slugs, but my limited experience with them shows that accuracy drops off pretty rapidly after about 50 yards. I doubt that going to a longer shell will buy you much additional range, accuracy is probably the limiting factor. Longer shells should buy you extra power for larger critters though.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For shooting clays and hunting squirells and rabbits i use either 7 1/2 or #8 shot, standard 2 3/4in shell. I killed my first deer with my stevens model 58 and a regular type slug. Knocked him dead.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1.) AA, Rem Blue Magic, Federal Gold Medal, have had good luck with Rio Game Loads, too. I stick to 7 1/2s in 12ga and 7 1/2 or 8s in 20ga.
2.) IF you have a separate rifled barrel go with a sabot slug. Test several and see which your gun likes, there will be difference. Just the standard smoothbore barrel, like mentioned above, go with a Brenneke or Forster.
3.) Home defense 3 1/2" 4s is sure to change the bad attitude of any intruder. Want to go green and not expel lead all over the house; go with Rem HyperSteel 3's @ 1700fps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom