Shotgun stock pro's and cons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys, I'm looking to buy my first shotgun (though I do have some experience with shotguns), and am looking for some inputs on stock type.

I'd like your experiences and thoughts on shotguns with standard stocks versus stocks with a pistol grip. I don't have an interest in a shotgun with a pistol grip and no stock.

I know safety placement is largely a personal preference, and I'm thinking about a tang safety if I go with a standard stock, or one near the trigger guard for one with a pistol grip.

The shotgun will primarily be for HD, but I wouldn't be opposed to shooting clays or maybe even hunting with it if the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks guys!

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.3gunshotgun.com/

Quoted from the link about stocks above:

"Stock choices are predicated on speed as well. Most 3 gun competitors use traditional shotgun stocks instead of pistol grips. A pistol grip might help support the shotgun when weak hand reloading, and it might make you feel like you have more control, but testing has shown that the traditional stock is faster for most shooters."

Now, I don't know who they tested, but my own personal experience agrees with this statement. I am not a fan of the pistol grips with stocks. I have a simple Mossberg 500 with 18.5" barrel and plain stock.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an 870, and I prefer a regular stock for upland/skeet/trap... But I prefer a Knoxx type adjustable stock for HD, turkey, deer, coyote, an general range time. Opine the feel of the pistol grip stock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom