Should I get into archery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. Do it. I’m somewhat of a prepper and wanted a way to efficiently take game quietly. I also wanted a crossbow with as few moving parts to wear out as possible so I settled on the equinox recurve. I actually took my first deer ever with my bow. I now can take advantage of the earlier bow deer season then move on to gun if unsuccessful with the bow.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Specifically crossbows? I hunt public land, and rifle season on public land is too much like summer vacation 2010 in Afghanistan. So I only get to go out a handful of days during the rifle seasons. I have torn both rotator cuffs twice, and last I tried I couldn’t pull back my 40lb bow fishing compound without feeling like I was about to tear something again. I don’t even think I could get my shoulders to have the range of motion necessary for that again.

So I thought: why not crossbows? Heck, I can think of about 10 tree/tripod stands on public land right now that are just left out year around.

Thoughts? What should I look for in a crossbow? Things to consider?

I’m considering a Centerpoint CP400. Snag another pack of arrows, a crossbow target, and a pack of expanding broadheads and call it good. Worth it? Any other options for $700 or less?
Thank you for your service sir. You definitely should get a crossbow!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@HoLeChit
I wouldn’t buy a “package“ crossbow, because in my experience, you can get more bow for your money on the used market. I don’t know what you plan to spend, but there are deals to be had on used crossbows. The two crossbow forums I mentioned earlier would be good places to start looking, and I would also recommend eBay. PM me if you want to talk further on the subject.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@HoLeChit
I wouldn’t buy a “package“ crossbow, because in my experience, you can get more bow for your money on the used market. I don’t know what you plan to spend, but there are deals to be had on used crossbows. The two crossbow forums I mentioned earlier would be good places to start looking, and I would also recommend eBay. PM me if you want to talk further on the subject.
That’s true. I don’t think archery stuff holds value like firearms. At least from what I’ve seen. Used isn’t a bad way to go

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@HoLeChit
This is a good point and one that I can attest to, especially for starters. I went Craigslist on my first crossbow just to see if I would like it. Drove to Clinton and picked it up for super cheap. I saved a bunch, used it for a few years and decided I wanted to go all in and bought a new one.

I then sold it back on Craigslist and broke even.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s true. I don’t think archery stuff holds value like firearms. At least from what I’ve seen. Used isn’t a bad way to go
From what I’ve seen, crossbows have held their value better than vertical bows, but that seems to be changing. Historically, this years new model vertical bow is “old technology“ by next years SHOT show, but crossbow companies didn’t used to crank out new models like vertical bow companies. That’s changed over the last few years.
All 4 of my crossbows are “old technology” (a couple are 15+ years old technology), but it hasn’t hindered me in killing a deer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom