Should I send off this Custom shop Colt for a real custom job??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Send this one off for a custom job?

• Total voters

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok, so I have this 1911 my wife and kids got me for fathers day a while back. I love it very much because it means something to me but its really too damn fancy for me to wanna go shoot it. I still haven't fired it to this day.. Its a Colt Custom Shop Talo Edition Sovereign 1 of 300. 5'' with national match finish.

I would like a real custom 1911 but I remembered about this one in the safe… I was considering having Dr. Barry Greyson or Durning Defense make me a full custom gun but then had the thought that i could just do this 1911 I already have into a really tremendous gun! Something I could carry and do a few local matches with.

My question is, would y'all use a gun like this to send to a expert gunsmith for a custom job? Or should I just shell out the extra cash and buy another frame to do a custom job on?

WHatcha think??

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would send it off. Not only will you have a gun that means something to you because of who got it for you, but you'll have it how you want it shooting, and you'll want to use it more. I personally don't like gifts that sit around. I want to get something to use. It means more to my wife to see me use something she gets me, than to see it sit and not get used. Unless you are wanting to actually have it as a collector gun.

Also, if you get it done up, and carry it, you'll always be carrying something with you to remind you of them, and you'll always have a story to tell about it.

EDIT-

Or put it in a shadow box and up on a wall. I wouldn't let it sit in a safe. Display it or use it :hot:

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say leave it alone. Gives you another reason to buy a new 1911....If you had it customized, would your wife and kids think maybe it wasn't good enough for you? Just wandering. Get something new, get it decked out, then have something special to pass on to your kids...

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I say leave it alone. Gives you another reason to buy a new 1911....If you had it customized, would your wife and kids think maybe it wasn't good enough for you? Just wandering. Get something new, get it decked out, then have something special to pass on to your kids...

True, but you brought up a good point..

I already talked to my wife about it and she says it'll be fine by her if i decide to give it to a gunsmith for customization. just to do whatever i want… well, problem is, i don't know what i want.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a shame it doesn't get used, although I understand why you haven't shot it. Tough decision but considering the gun was a gift from your family and obviously a gift they put a lot of thought into I wouldn't do a thing to the outside. Maybe a custom action job and the likes but the outside remaining just like it is. It's a VERY nice gun and a very nice COLT on top of it, ask yourself if your family would be happy knowing that such a great gift sits in a safe unused and unseen? Probably not, get it slicked up inside by a well known smith and it's a double awesome gun, worked over by a known smith and a 1 of 300 special edition Colt. Then you can use it as a BBQ gun and have a sweet shooter at the range that makes other shooters jealous. It makes you happy and it should make the family who gave it to you happy, just don't mar it up while shooting.

If you want something that's slicked up and can take a little rough handling there's no way I'd use that gun, start with a different one. I would definitely wear it as a BBQ gun or something... I'd feel terrible if I gave someone such a nice gun and it lived in their safe.

Anywho, that's my opinion.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's a shame it doesn't get used, although I understand why you haven't shot it. Tough decision but considering the gun was a gift from your family and obviously a gift they put a lot of thought into I wouldn't do a thing to the outside. Maybe a custom action job and the likes but the outside remaining just like it is. It's a VERY nice gun and a very nice COLT on top of it, ask yourself if your family would be happy knowing that such a great gift sits in a safe unused and unseen? Probably not, get it slicked up inside by a well known smith and it's a double awesome gun, worked over by a known smith and a 1 of 300 special edition Colt. Then you can use it as a BBQ gun and have a sweet shooter at the range that makes other shooters jealous. It makes you happy and it should make the family who gave it to you happy, just don't mar it up while shooting.

If you want something that's slicked up and can take a little rough handling there's no way I'd use that gun, start with a different one. I would definitely wear it as a BBQ gun or something... I'd feel terrible if I gave someone such a nice gun and it lived in their safe.

Anywho, that's my opinion.

If I had a 1911 gunsmith work on it everything would go except the slide and frame. i want custom metal work, fine tuning action parts, match barrel, adjustable sights, etc. I love the bluing on it but I could do without the gold or colt logos

Latest posts

Top Bottom