Sig P229 or M11 for EDC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looking to add a new pistol to the collection and am leaning towards Sig. I currently carry an M&P 45 full size daily but when I need something that's not quite as obvious, I have a little pocket 9mm. It's not any fun to shoot and has has a capacity of only 6 rounds. So, I'm looking to find my way towards the middle. I'd like a pistol with 12-15 round capacity, but don't need another full size. I've already decided on 9mm for this new pistol. If I want to carry a bigger rock, I'll carry the M&P or a 1911. So, I've landed on the 229 or M11 by Sig.

So does anyone carry a 229 daily? how about an M11? I'd like to stay with a metal framed pistol. I have zero interest in anything Glock, but would be interested in other all metal smaller framed pistols in 9mm that I may have overlooked.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You may look into the CZ 75 compact pistols. They have the all steel compact, the alloy frame PCR, and the alloy frame with a rail p01. They hold 14 rounds flush but the 16 and 18 round mags will fit. I have the PCR and it's a great shooter and carries very well. It's about the same size as a Glock 19 or the sig p229.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking at the M-11 not long ago. After doing some research, I found that it was very close in size to my Glock 19. The 19 is also lighter weight and lots cheaper.

Bravo1ResQ

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've carried the M11 for the past 9.5 years before being allowed (agency reqs) to carry a G19 and making the switch. Overall I've seen the M11 used and abused in a variety of environments and it's kept on working. I am a Sig armorer and the two biggest issues I've seen are:
1 - Broken roll pins (They seem to break every 1k rounds depending on how well they were installed)
2 - Grip screws backing out (Put some nail polish or blue locktite on the threads and this fixes the problem)

The 229 (if memory serves) fixed the roll pin issue by utilizing a solid pin in the slide vs the M11/228's inner/outer roll pins. There are other minor differences between the two pistols but they are largely identical and you can't go wrong with either one.

I hope this helps, if you decide to go with the M11 or P228 I have some extra parts and pieces I could sell to you if you want.

-B1R

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a 229 daily. It's just a bit large, but not really any larger than a G19. Heavier obviously, but a good belt/holster combo can take care of that. I've personally found the grip is on the borderline as far as concealability, but it fits me very well. A forward cant on the holster helps.