Sig P229

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryOkie

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve carried a Sig 226 for many years and I love it. Very accurate! Some people think it’s too heavy, but if you have a good carry belt and holster you’ll be good. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB and one of Crossbreeds belts. My 226 is a Nitron version (old school type) E2, meaning the grip is more ergonomic and the trigger is curved, but thin. This allows for easier manipulation of the trigger and I think makes it easier to be extremely accurate.

Here’s one on Gunbroker. They all come California compliant now with 10 round mags, but the price is great.

amadera

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve carried a Sig 226 for many years and I love it. Very accurate! Some people think it’s too heavy, but if you have a good carry belt and holster you’ll be good. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB and one of Crossbreeds belts. My 226 is a Nitron version (old school type) E2, meaning the grip is more ergonomic and the trigger is curved, but thin. This allows for easier manipulation of the trigger and I think makes it easier to be extremely accurate.

Here’s one on Gunbroker. They all come California compliant now with 10 round mags, but the price is great.

Are the higher capacity mags still available?

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me, the grip on the 229 is uncomfortably small. I agree that for a carry pistol, the 229 is too large for my taste. I am a big fan of the 226, to me it is one of the most comfortable pistols to shoot.

GaryOkie

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
After looking at the CA compliant version more, I wouldn’t get it. Personally I love the “old school” Nitron 226, but the CA version also has a loaded chamber indicator on top of the slide that looks horrible. Also, I remembered you can’t cut the old versions for optics. I had to buy an AXG slide (which I like) and it’s already precut. I guess I’ll die with my old 226. I love it. I did try a legion when it first came out, but it just wasn’t for me. The 226 is a legendary gun though. I’d probably go to a range and see if you could rent some different types of the 226. I have much more expensive guns, but I always carry my 226.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just traded out of a 229 to fellow OSA'er --

despite parting with it, i am a fan of the platform --- The 229/226 relationship is not the same to me as the Glock 17/19 relationship as both of the SIG guns to me are essentially full size pistols

The 19 Glock is actually somewhat concealable while the 229 is not as handy (just too darn heavy) --- but i am odd in the fact that i shoot better with the more compact pattern pistols -- example - i shoot an Officers ACP tighter than i can a full size 1911

The slightly shorter 229 is just more comfortable . My most recent one was a DAK trigger model and i posted here asking whether to mod it into what i wanted, or just buy a Legion SAO only model.
It would not have hurt me at all to keep it , and i actually like the .40 cartridge , but the trade bait was strong and i will go for a 229 SAO when the wallet permits

twiceassigned

Marksman
Reaction score
Cali only applies to Cali.
Mec Gar makes mags better than the originals. The “standard” capacity is basically 18 with a very modest plastic slam pad hardly bigger than the metal floor plate from the 15 rd mags. The Mec Gar is also Teflon coated. A “+2” base offers some slight protrusion but makes the 20rd mag a real option for the backup magss, but you can buy the 20rd mags fully assembled anyway.