Sig P938 extraction problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Win65

Marksman
Reaction score
Working on a Sig P938. Recently got it back from having it cerracoated (sp?) and its not always extracting the cartridge after it fires. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Its seems that there is not a lot of tension in the spring so I am going to start by replacing that. The only other thing I can think of is the thick coating where the base of the cartridge is sitting is not allowing the extractor to get a good grip on the rim of the casing but still allows the gun to shoot. Worse case scenario is the extractor went bad somehow. I hope that is not the case seeing as how they seem hard to come by from what I have seen. What do you guys think? Bad spring? Bad extractor? Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it was extracting before the coating and is not now, blame the coating.
Was the extractor removed before the coating? That would add some tension and possibly make it more difficult for the extractor to grab onto the rim of the cartridge as the extractor is under extra tension at rest.
If the extractor was installed prior to coating, that could also be the reason because the hook is all gummed up.

More info is needed.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Troubleshooting

Rule #1
If it used to work but doesn't, what happened to the system between those times?

Rule #2
There is always a cause for the problem,

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This might be a reach; Check the barrel breach area; remove the barrel, insert a round in the barrel breach; The loaded round should slide in and out easily; If the round doesn’t slide in and out, clean the breach; maybe some debris or loose cerakote material might have entered the breech via the loaded rounds.

Good luck on solving your problem!!!!!

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Extractor spring hole in the slide probably has spray/overspray as well as the extractor spring channel in the slide. And the extractor if it was coated too.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Extractor spring hole in the slide probably has spray/overspray as well as the extractor spring channel in the slide. And the extractor if it was coated too.
Are you supposed to CeraKote working parts? Should you take down the working surfaces a few thousandths before coating?

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you supposed to CeraKote working parts? Should you take down the working surfaces a few thousandths before coating?
Not necessarily but you are supposed to clean the critical surfaces or tape them off and make sure the gun works….
A lot has to do with who is doing the application- how thick the coating is, where it is etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom