Sight installation question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered and received some aftermarket night sights for my new Ruger LW CMD 1911, and have a question about installation of these sights. Where I live, the closest gunsmith (that I know of) that will install sights on handguns is at Butch's in Woodward, about 1.5 hours nort of me. I also have a guy at work that is a big Glock guy, and has a sight pusher tool that he has used to install night sights on his Glock's in the past. Would it be a possibility of using that same tool to install the sights on my 1911? I've never been around one of these sight tools, so figured I'd ask some of yall that might know.

I'm trying to avoid the drive to Woodward x2, once to dropoff and again to pick back up. I don't mind paying someone to make sure its done properly for sure, just factors in more money for two trips. And if anyone knows someone close to the Elk City area that could do this, please PM or post their info, like I said I don't mind paying a few $ for the installation fee. Thanks for any help!

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your Glock buddy bought a sight tool that has the different blocks to hold you slide, and the angle blocks to push the angle sights your Ruger has, he should be able to do so. I just looked at a photo of the Pistol your talking about, and it looks to me that he may not have to have a different holding block, and he will have to use the angled pusher side. He may can get a good tight fit on it with some leather and some nickels to shim it to the correct height. I would let him take a look at it, before making a drive.

I went to try to find a photo of the slide, one looking down the side of one and have not found one. But he may just be able to do you good on it, by the looks of it to me.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, like I said I've never been around one of these sight tools so wasn't sure about any interchangeability between pistol types. Also, how hard are the sights to get in/out normally? Like a "couple licks of a small hammer on a punch" or "pressing out 20 year old Chevy 4wd ball joints"? :)

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A brass punch pretty much takes care of getting sights out and back in.

If I would've had one handy today, I probably would've gave it a go! Only problem I see with that, the sights I bought says to only install with a sight tool or the warranty is voided; plus I'd hate to slip and screw up a $100 sight, and that's the kind of crap that happens to me! I did find a website just now that sells a somewhat universal sight tool for $60, and it looks pretty good on the video. Might have to invest in one...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I would've had one handy today, I probably would've gave it a go! Only problem I see with that, the sights I bought says to only install with a sight tool or the warranty is voided; plus I'd hate to slip and screw up a $100 sight, and that's the kind of crap that happens to me! I did find a website just now that sells a somewhat universal sight tool for $60, and it looks pretty good on the video. Might have to invest in one...

Sand/file a tad on the leading edge of the dovetail on the sight getting pressed in, and use very light taps to get the sight started and continue to walk it across the dovetail with very light strikes from the punch and light weight hammer. I've done many.

Getting the slide solid in a vise contributes a lot to getting the sight installed. You don't want to have it laying on the bench.

If you feel more comfortable with a press, I'd go that way. Be aware that presses have screwed up sights by not being perfectly aligned.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sand/file a tad on the leading edge of the dovetail on the sight getting pressed in, and use very light taps to get the sight started and continue to walk it across the dovetail with very light strikes from the punch and light weight hammer. I've done many.

Getting the slide solid in a vise contributes a lot to getting the sight installed. You don't want to have it laying on the bench.

If you feel more comfortable with a press, I'd go that way. Be aware that presses have screwed up sights by not being perfectly aligned.

Sounds good Dennis, thanks for the advice! One way or another, I'm gonna try to get them in this week, before my holster shows up and I start carrying it some

Latest posts

Top Bottom