skeet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doubt I'll be of much use regarding newb suitability since I've only been shotgunning one time since moving to OKC. When I went to OTA I told the range guy that I was new to the range and he gave me a quick run-down of the trap equipment and cut me loose, but I've been shooting trap and skeet on & off for years so I already more or less knew what was going on.

If it's just you & your dad, you might be able to join a squad that's forming up. Usually there are a couple veteran shotgunners in any group and they can help you out. I'd consider meeting up with you out there myself but I'm out of commission for a while with work and travel, probably the earliest I could make it would be Memorial Day weekend.

Also make sure you know which game you want to shoot... trap and skeet are similar but are definitely not the same animal. For new shotgunners I believe that trap is probably easier while skeet is usually more frustrating. Once you get your leads figured out skeet is more fun. Others may disagree, but that's been my experience.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doubt I'll be of much use regarding newb suitability since I've only been shotgunning one time since moving to OKC. When I went to OTA I told the range guy that I was new to the range and he gave me a quick run-down of the trap equipment and cut me loose, but I've been shooting trap and skeet on & off for years so I already more or less knew what was going on.

If it's just you & your dad, you might be able to join a squad that's forming up. Usually there are a couple veteran shotgunners in any group and they can help you out. I'd consider meeting up with you out there myself but I'm out of commission for a while with work and travel, probably the earliest I could make it would be Memorial Day weekend.

Also make sure you know which game you want to shoot... trap and skeet are similar but are definitely not the same animal. For new shotgunners I believe that trap is probably easier while skeet is usually more frustrating. Once you get your leads figured out skeet is more fun. Others may disagree, but that's been my experience.

Can you explain the difference in trap and skeet shooting, please?

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome links, thank you! The pictures explain it all! Skeet seems a bit more predictable.

Skeet is definitely more predictable, but unless you're the uber-bird hunter you'll be doing lots of crying on stations 3, 4, and 5. :o

On skeet station 8 the clays almost fly overhead and you're supposed to shoot before they pass you. Better have quick reflexes!

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Skeet is a ton of fun. The only thing that is predictable is the fact that birds come out of the high and low house. temperature, wind, cloudiness etc all change the game quite a bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom