slip floats/ bobbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V1K1NG0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Such a noob question but

I wanted to get some insight from some of you avid anglers about the advantages/disadvantages of using weighted/unweighted slip floats.

I never really got into fishing growing up but for some reason I got an urge to catch some fish. I always used the red/white floats and I am looking to change to slip bobbers to get some farther casts. I am just trying to ascertain the big differences between the weighted and unweighted floats.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use floats mostly when I'm after panfish. I like the slender stick type floats like the Thill made by Lindy. I don't use the weighted ones I prefer to adjust the weight my self using split shot. The stick type floats are more sensitive to a light bite. If you get the weight right the float will stick straight up out of the water. This is very important as some time a fish will pick up the bait from above and the float will not move. With the stick float set right it will lay on it's side letting you know you have a bite. It also takes less to pull them under which is a big help on fish that are resistance sensitive. They also create less drag when casting allowing you to cast farther.

Slip floats work best in deep water allowing you to get the bait down to the fish and still have some castability. I like the stick type slip floats when stationary fishing deep water cover. I use the foam type round slip floats when drift fishing for cats. it keeps the bait down where the fish are without snagging the bottom.
Most people only use floats when fishing with bait but they work well when slow rolling artificial baits also. With a little chop on the water jigs, plastic worms and tubes work very well suspended under floats over deep water structure. Plastic floats are cheap but they are not that durable they crack and take on water. Also keep all floats stored away from plastic baits they melt and make a nasty mess.

Pat

Latest posts

Top Bottom