Smoke damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Legitimate question: my storage facility was damaged by those grass fires this weekend. My unit is untouched, but I have smoke and ash all over my stuff. For insurance purposes, What is considered smoke damage, and what can be affected? I figure the mattress would be included in this, as well as any other soft, porous goods. But what about electronics or the flooring on my boat?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have renters insurance to cover the contents of the storage facility? I’m not sure that your homeowner’s insurance would cover that.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t. I am not sure if the facility has insurance either. I do have coverage on the boat though.
My guess is that they probably won’t have insurance on your stuff for the same reason a landlord doesn’t have insurance on the stuff in a tenant’s apartment—you can’t insure something that you don’t own. I’m not sure if the rules regarding storage facilities are different from rental residences, but I don’t think they are in this case.

Basically, before you go to the trouble of documenting all this stuff, make sure it’s not a wasted effort. If your homeowner’s insurance won’t cover it, you’re probably SOL on this one.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My storage unit make me show proof of insurance before I could park my camper. I had a skunk spray under a house I was renting one time. Insurance told me tuff luck. Same with land lord. That was a ruff several months.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As an owner of boat storage units, it is the tenants responsibility to insure their personal property. My insurance does not cover any personal property stored inside the units. I know that isn’t the answer that you were hoping for, but more than likely you won’t be able to file any insurance claim. Like stated above, the only chance for an insurance claim is through your homeowners insurance, but it isn’t likely that it will work.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There may better cleaners available now but in '93 when my house burned the only ones I found that worked on smoke damage was Simple Green and Old English. FYI for the stuff you would like to salvage. We cleaned with Simple Green then went back over it with Old English, it worked.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you strike on insurance, could you vacuum the ash and then get an ozone machine for the unit? Confined unoccupied space like that I'd think ozone would work well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom