Smokeless muzzleloaders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone else into smokeless muzzleloaders?

I understand that purists think these things are the spawn of the devil, and am not interested in discussing the morality of the concept.

I have had one built by http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/ and will post pictures when I get the scope mounted. It's fitted to a New England Arms "Pardner" receiver. Since all the pressure is contained by the breech plug, receiver strength is not an issue. The receiver takes only recoil energy, and the breech face doesn't get any pressure. The builder assures me that recoil is plentiful, even with a real heavy 28 inch barrel. We discussed cutting the barrel, and they said they'd be happy to do it, but that every inch off cuts mv by 25 fps. I said to leave it long.

Balance point is about six inches forward of where it normally is on a single shot shotgun, and I estimate weight at somewere around eight pounds. I'll weigh it with the scope and a sling in place. The front heavy configuration cuts down on my built in shake, and it should be good for offhand shots.

Scope is a 30mm Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield "Euro." It seems to be pretty good in low light, and since nearly every buck I see is near the cutoff on shooting hours, that will help.

Mine uses .458 bullets in a black SMI sabot. It's supposed to generate 2450 fps and 3400 foot pounds of muzzle energy with a Barnes 250 grain bullet. The load calls for Alliant XMR 2015 powder, which I can't find in OKC. Looks like I may have to order it from Powder Valley unless someone can tell me where there is some locally.

I did not shoot at the biggest deer I have ever seen in Oklahoma last black powder season because he was out of range of my CVA Elkhorn (now sold). I figured to get him come gun season, but got real sick instead and managed to hunt only the first afternoon and the second morning. The owner of the lease saw him several times over the winter, so maybe, just maybe . . . What a boot it would be to stick him with an arrow . . . Probably never see him again, but there are some other real nice deer in those woods.

Again, anybody else into smokeless? CB

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm into it, but don't have one yet. I posted last year in the hunting section about it, you might search and find it. Not too many people have one. I planned on getting one then weighting the stock with lead like they do on .308 M1As. Be heavy as hell, but wouldn't take your shoulder off.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The scope mounts came from Midway today. Probably going to need a cheek piece to raise me up about a half inch, but here's a first look.

Attachments

• MVC-651S.JPG
    MVC-651S.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 119
  • MVC-653S.JPG
    MVC-653S.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 170
  • MVC-655S.JPG
    MVC-655S.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 113

Latest posts

Top Bottom