Southwest Oklahoma Dove Hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shotgun man

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hello i am new to the site and apologize if this type of post is not allowed. I am a recent graduate of the university of oklahoma where I majored in zoology, empathizing on wildlife biology. After college the draw of the outdoors brought me home where I took on the role of fifth generation farmer/rancher. After a couple years of planning my father and I have decided to offer Southwest Oklahoma Dove Hunts available starting September 1st. Hunting and wildlife conservation is my true passion and will work hard to provide you with a top quality hunt. We have access to 5000+ acres of excellent dove hunting habitat including ponds, standing crop fields of sunflowers, milo, wheat, along with prime flight corridors and roosting areas. We are offering single or multiple day hunts for individuals or groups. Prices are $125 per person per day. Half day hunts are available for $75 for your choice of either a morning or afternoon hunt. Discounts available for multiple days and groups. Hunters are encouraged to bring their own shotguns and shells and a valid hunting license is required. Guns may be rented and shells may be purchased from us if needed. One day hunt includes a morning and evening hunt. I will lead you to your hunting area and provide mojo and stationary decoys if requested, along with chairs, cold bottled water and bird cleaning service. We will do our very best to set you up on a action packed dove hunt you'll always remember. We are very accommodating and will work with you to provide a safe enjoyable experience catered especially to your specific wants and needs. We can accommodate individuals, families or large groups. We have plenty of different areas where you will feel safe and won't be interfering with one anther. Hunt success should be excellent this year, depending on your aim of course. We are seeing a lot of native birds and are expecting a good migration though southwest Oklahoma again this year. For the first time in 5 years we have full ponds, and a variety of food sources so make sure to bring plenty of shells! Bag limit is 15 mourning or white wing doves per day and no limit of Eurasian collared doves. Satisfaction is 100% guaranteed! All hunts will take place west of Altus, Ok in Jackson and Harmon counties. We can help with lodging arrangements in either Altus or Hollis. Please message me for more information. We will also have guided or unguided quail and antlerless deer hunts available as well. Admin please move or remove if post not permitted.

Shotgun man

New to the site!
Reaction score
Welcome to OSA, Do You hunt the antlered deer yourself ?

Yes we usually hunt the bucks ourselves. "Ourselves" being my father, brother, me and my wife. I have maintained a strict management program going on 8 years now mainly based on age, genetics and health. Genetics play the crucial part in how big a rack can potentially grow under ideal conditions. However, unless you are running a high fenced deer farm there's only so much one can do to control the genetics of the deer in your area. All of our land is low-fenced and has free ranging wild deer. Therefore I strongly believe age is the main ingredient in growing trophy deer in oklahoma. We can control age more than we can most other factors such as genetics, rainfall, food availability, ect. If we simply pass on young bucks and let them grow and reach maturity, and with a little help from Mother Nature providing rain and plenty of forage like we have this year, we will consistently see more and more mature deer with better racks. I realize many out there don't care about the racks and just want the meat and that's where the does come in for us. We harvest with help of friends and paid hunters between 50-100 does a year depending on yearly population counts and drought conditions. Even with harvesting this many does our buck to doe ratio is still close to 1-10 on some of our farms. Our ratios and maturity level of our bucks have continually gotten better over the years and we are almost to the point where we may start allowing a few trophy altered hunts in the near future besides the few antlered hunts we already have for management purposes but most of these are for children that have never killed a deer or persons with disabilities.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes we usually hunt the bucks ourselves. "Ourselves" being my father, brother, me and my wife. I have maintained a strict management program going on 8 years now mainly based on age, genetics and health. Genetics play the crucial part in how big a rack can potentially grow under ideal conditions. However, unless you are running a high fenced deer farm there's only so much one can do to control the genetics of the deer in your area. All of our land is low-fenced and has free ranging wild deer. Therefore I strongly believe age is the main ingredient in growing trophy deer in oklahoma. We can control age more than we can most other factors such as genetics, rainfall, food availability, ect. If we simply pass on young bucks and let them grow and reach maturity, and with a little help from Mother Nature providing rain and plenty of forage like we have this year, we will consistently see more and more mature deer with better racks. I realize many out there don't care about the racks and just want the meat and that's where the does come in for us. We harvest with help of friends and paid hunters between 50-100 does a year depending on yearly population counts and drought conditions. Even with harvesting this many does our buck to doe ratio is still close to 1-10 on some of our farms. Our ratios and maturity level of our bucks have continually gotten better over the years and we are almost to the point where we may start allowing a few trophy altered hunts in the near future besides the few antlered hunts we already have for management purposes but most of these are for children that have never killed a deer or persons with disabilities.

Welcome to OSA!
My hunt area is a DMAP. Our buck to doe ratio is still 45-1 after years of thinning the herd. I suspect this year with all the browse, and forbs, this season will be phenomenal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom