Standing Water in Fraidyhole

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So... we actually used the fraidyhole last night. Had reports of a possible tornado near Burns Flat (wall cloud and funnel with power flashes underneath), and I kept an eye on the radar (both BR1 and VEL, as well as the GPS locations of many chasers in the area) and watched main area track closer. Watched the wall cloud and funnel approach from the west, and when it was a mile or so SW went down in the hole (people closer to Bessie reported seeing it to their north, so pretty sure we were looking at the same thing). Dunno if there was a touchdown or not - sure didn't see anything noticeably different from the hail damage from the golf balls we got the other day, but when it's dark and your only light source is God's rave party, you can't really tell direction or distance very well.

So... a little background on the water. 8x8x8 cinderblock hole under the addition on the back of the trailer. The vent is 6" PVC, goes out the side, then curves up a closet before exiting a wall to go above the roof. When we bought the place, it did have a turbine on it, but it would still get ~4" of standing water after a good hard rain. They had a sump pump in there also that ended up melting because I left it running too long once, and it could bring it down to ~2".

Then we lost the turbine in a storm. But being the redneck that I am that understands things like circulation and such, I decided to snake a 2" RV sewer hose through the PVC pipe. With the pipe coming near the ceiling, I put the end of the hose as far away as I could and at the floor. Lo and behold we can now get 6" of rain over 2 and a half days (just did that last year) and the only standing water is about 1/2" above the grooves they cut in the floor to help the sump pump get more water. We never get more than that, but we never get less, and there are always water droplets on the ceiling (which is the floor of the addition). By the way, I didn't even have to pump it out - only took a couple weeks for it to take care of itself.

So... anything I can do to get the last of the water out and keep it out? It *is* painted with white sealer. I'm thinking I could "fab" a mount for a turbine that allows the input hose to exit below the turbine, perhaps... but not sure if that's the right way to go about it.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amazing what a little ventilation will do ..huh.
Youll never get all the water out like that, because its seeping through the blocks.
They do make a fiberglass like material that you can coat the inside with, sticks/seals really well

Beware the Cheap stuff it doesnt work as well....Good Luck

Put a fan down there to get it as dry as possible

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you would make a sump for a sump pump with a float switch it would keep the water pumped out and not stay on.

The previous sump pump didn't quite get it to this level. When I left it on too long, I had only gotten out about a third of the water that had been standing at that time.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. Especially when it's able to circulate.

Would Xypex help? (IIRC it's Drylok that is on the walls, but I'm not 100% positive.)

That would depend on the cost, and if it would stick to the drylok, the fiber re-inforced stuff I was looking at was pretty reasonable.
(I have the old 10'x8' half underground about 6' in the ground 2-3'above)
To do the floor and about 4' up the sides was like $75-100 dollars.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My fiberglass shelter accumulates water because it condenses on the inside walls. The walls stay pretty cool all year so when humid air gets in there it leaves water behind. A couple of weeks ago I used a wet/dry vac to get about 4 gallons out.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My fiberglass shelter accumulates water because it condenses on the inside walls. The walls stay pretty cool all year so when humid air gets in there it leaves water behind. A couple of weeks ago I used a wet/dry vac to get about 4 gallons out.

You need to ventilate it like above poster,.....no not drill hole in it...... ;)

.or better yet run some duct and blow it in your house...ummm air source heat pump... anyone?

Latest posts

Top Bottom