State Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might check the link....Humane Society of the United States, HSUS, primary sponsor of the opposition, does not sponsor animal shelters.

I was surprised. One would assume it was the same group, nope, not at all. More like PETA etc......

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not surprised that such groups oppose a bill like 777. But the reasons i voted against it are more practical -- any politician that wants to get elected in Oklahoma isn't going to do the bidding of PETA and their ilk here. I'm more worried about making it harder for our elected representatives and legislature to regulate the farming industry. I don't believe we should put ridiculous and onerous regulation on farming and agriculture, but we do need SOME regulation from time to time. You can see an example of that with the oil industry and all these earthquakes.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am shocked a the rationale that is being given in this site in why the alcohol bill should not be passed. Don't give me that bullsh!t that liquor stores can't survive in states where you can get good beer and wine in a grocery store. We are in the minority here and liquor stores all around the country still thrive. Step up your game and compete on product knowledge and service. instead you try to force people into your stores with mafia-esc laws. Lets say I'm a single mom or dad and I want some wine with diner and I have a young kid, can't take them into a liquor store, so I'm supposed to do without?

The bigger problem to me is who the hell is the government to tell me where I can buy my wine and good beer? I should have the freedom to choose.

The "rationale" is that 792 was written by Walmart and for Walmart. Using your single mom example it allows for them to into Walmart to buy the same wine or beer, yet they won't allow someone to go in to a liquor store. It also allows Walmart to sell at longer hours. Just for starters it doesn't create an equal sales environment to sell the exact same products.

This the same logic that people employ about the state tax and teachers. There was a better proposal labeled 791 and I posted the difference several pages back. Basically it would be better for everyone including the consumer, except Walmart and company. Guess who had more money to back the question? You now have 792.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The "rationale" is that 792 was written by Walmart and for Walmart. Using your single mom example it allows for them to into Walmart to buy the same wine or beer, yet they won't allow someone to go in to a liquor store. It also allows Walmart to sell at longer hours. Just for starters it doesn't create an equal sales environment to sell the exact same products.

This the same logic that people employ about the state tax and teachers. There was a better proposal labeled 791 and I posted the difference several pages back. Basically it would be better for everyone including the consumer, except Walmart and company. Guess who had more money to back the question? You now have 792.
Yeah I'll have to go back and reread that. I'm just tired of being inconvenienced to have to go to the liquor store and buy warm beer because of some stupid blue law. I just think that any progress is good progress. That being said I'm not in the industry and realize that some may be affected. However you see many states have wine and real beer cold and readily available. Big box stores like Walmart are only going to be pushing low variaty, low price, high volume wine and beer. If you want specialty beer and wine you still have to go to a liquor store. Liquor stores will still compete on selection and expertise. No offense to anyone that works at Walmart but I'm not going to be asking them which wine I should pair with what. Sure the law isn't perfect but it's better than what we have.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I'll have to go back and reread that. I'm just tired of being inconvenienced to have to go to the liquor store and buy warm beer because of some stupid blue law. I just think that any progress is good progress. That being said I'm not in the industry and realize that some may be affected. However you see many states have wine and real beer cold and readily available. Big box stores like Walmart are only going to be pushing low variaty, low price, high volume wine and beer. If you want specialty beer and wine you still have to go to a liquor store. Liquor stores will still compete on selection and expertise. No offense to anyone that works at Walmart but I'm not going to be asking them which wine I should pair with what. Sure the law isn't perfect but it's better than what we have.

There's no argument there. However, our laws should level the playing field if the same exact products will be sold. It's sad that Oklahoma's politicians can't even get the simplest of needs right, or without a bit of corruption.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will we see a better booze law on the ballot in the next 20 years? I wonder. Makes it hard to vote no even though I know it's ******.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Will we see a better booze law on the ballot in the next 20 years? I wonder. Makes it hard to vote no even though I know it's ******.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The whole reason 3.2 beer stuck for so long was because of corporate money. So no argument there. On a side note, the retail association is suing to allow for the same hours and restrictions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom