States with Open Carry similar to OK (eff. Nov 1st)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know it seems like a stupid question but what states have approved open carry similar to what OK will have effective November 1st? I looked on open carry.org and the states I looked up like Missouri, Arizona, and Idaho state "Open Carry allowed in vehicles". It didn't state residents could open carry in public.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you looked at this map?

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=103

I looked up like Missouri, Arizona, and Idaho state "Open Carry allowed in vehicles". It didn't state residents could open carry in public.
I think you're reading too much into their site listing car carry as a specific item. That does not mean it is the ONLY open carry allowed in the state.
Suggest you read the actual state statutes to get the whole picture. I am very familiar with several of the open carry state's laws, and both AZ and ID have general open carry, as well as my home state of KY. However, there are certain "manners" and common sense conventions about open carry that will make your life much easier to observe.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is specified because of the fact that some states allow unlicensed OC, but the moment you step into a car, you are concealing under their law and can't do that without a CPL. There are a lot of fine points to each state's law...OC vs CC, license or not, Colorado for instance has OC statewide, but you are illegal in Denver County. PA and MI consider car carry to be concealed carry, need a permit. MO has open carry, but no freaking preemption... so one town it's legal, another it's not. That's how KS has done it, but they actually have preemption that the cities have ignored. It only tool one lawsuit to fix that, and as we speak, cities are removing illegal ordinances left and right. MI has a list of prohibited places that are legal if you have a CPL. Other states have places where it's prohibited to conceal, but legal to OC.

See why it's confusing? I think we have it much simpler here in OK. got a license? Cool, concealed or unconcealed. Same list of prohibited places.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a number of states where their laws are completely silent about open carry, therefore it's allowed. There's also no law allowing you to wear a blue shirt on Wednesday, so it's legal. Remember that most of the time, laws PROHIBIT something not allow it. SB1733 is different. It provides an exception to something that was already against the law.

Latest posts

Top Bottom