Stinger Trouble?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the past week I have heard 3 complaints about guns not working correctly with stinger rounds.
Stingers are hypervelocity 22"s boasting 1640fps with a 32 grain hollow point.
Stingers have been around for some time now and they will shoot out of almost anything that will handle a 22 LR however the case is just a few thousanths longer
volquartsen does not recommend them in their guns, in fact they will void their warranty but I do not know why they don't like them
the complaints I have heard came from a Ruger 10/22 that the shell blew apart and left the shell in the barrel, I have not removed it yet.
A Marlin 60 wouldn't cycle them, and a buckmark wouldn't seat the bullet due to the length of the shell.

Has anyone else had these problems or heard of problems like this?

P

point and laugh

My Remington 552 Speedmaster doen't like them. It doesn't sound right when running them and sometimes fire flies out of the side of the chamber.

CD68

Marksman
Reaction score
I've tried them in several rifles...not much luck with them. The only rifle that would cycle them was an old Winchester single shot. Accuracy kept me from buying more to shoot through it. The other rifles were Marlins and a Glenfield. They would not feed more than a round or two before a failure. I quit the Stingers after working through that 100 round box.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never used stingers, when I bought my p22 they recommended mini mags for a break in period of 600 rounds. They said the stingers would wear out my gun and I should only use stingers if I was going to carry the p22 for self defense. Now my p22 eats everything so I stick with bulk ammo. Sorry if I was useless.

D

Doc Holiday

My 10/22 won't feed them either. Because of that longer shell, I don't see the Stinger as a semi-auto rimfire round. In my mind they're a self-defense round for snubs or NAA mini revolvers. Or a varmint cartridge for Ruger Single-Sixes or bolt-action rifles.

For a hot .22LR semi-auto load, try the CCI Velocitors.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried them in my MK III Hunter and will never shoot stingers again out of any gun. The inside of my barrel was so fouled with lead that it literally took 45 minutes to clean it with a brass brush. When I first pulled a patch through, the patch came out with tears. It took a while to feel rifling with the brush. I have a couple hundred stingers that I will never shoot.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I occasionally shoot stingers in my revolvers with no issues.

The round I hate is the Remington Golden Bullet. Back when ammo was scarce, I bought 2 bulk 550 round boxes. I gave one away and tried to shoot the other. I got failure to fires in 4 different guns. I didn't bother to check to see if they had primer or not. Next time out, I may take some with me and check.

BTW, .22 ammo is problematic by it's very nature, in my opinion. Size of the round, mass production make for difficult quality control.

Latest posts

Top Bottom