Storing food in attic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I was gonna store any food items up in the attic, I would reconsider and not do it. If you are that desperate to store food in the attic go ahead and remodel, and make yourself a room up there that's insulated and climate controlled, or just toss the food out now and save yourself the trouble of lugging it up and down ladder.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know the answer but would tend to go along with the original premise that sugar, salt, pepper and other powder type spices would work...sealed in metal cans to prevent critters getting in...

try it this summer and report back next winter....

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
storing spices and herbs in or near heat will destroy them so I wouldn't store anything like that in the attic. The only thing I would store in the attic are maybe tools fishing gear not some tackle because it will be destroyed by heat, stuff like that. I wouldn't store medicines, Maybe extra clothing etc sealed up because fiddlebacks love attics.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe this will help you make an informed decision.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-kitchen/temperature-versus-food-storage-shelf-life/

Keep in mind that in Oklahoma it is not unusual for attic temperatures to reach WAY over 100 degrees F and stay there for hours (like as long as the sun is up and beating down on the roof in the afternoons) day after day. Not only that but they really don't cool down that much after the sun sets. I've personally seen temps of 140F to 160F in my attic on August afternoons ...

Just to reinforce what BadgeBunny said, here's an article with a somewhat simpler table: http://survivalacres.com/shop/content/18-bulk-food-shelf-life

Latest posts

Top Bottom